cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files not syncing - MacBook Pro

Files not syncing - MacBook Pro

mbeck
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

DropBox is no longer syncing on my MacBook Pro. It has been showing "syncing 1,218 files" for at least a week. I turned off my McAfee firewall, but no change.

DropBox also is using a lot of file space and the fan is blowing loudly. Activity Monitor shows it is using 107% of the CPU. If I turn off DropBox, the fan stops blowing.

How can I get DropBox working again?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there,

If the Dropbox desktop application is using a lot of CPU time, then something is affecting the way it syncs, as you're also experiencing currently.

I believe you could have a number of symlinks, which occur when folders are added to Dropbox that reference directories outside of the Dropbox folder or inside of the Dropbox folder but in a different folder.

I'll now go into details about what happens and how to remove them, so please take your time reading over my post!

As these symlinks may reference locations where Dropbox may have limited accessibility, they can cause various issues, namely high CPU usage, poor syncing performance, permissions issues and quota usage disparities are a few of the problems that often come up when symlinks are added to the Dropbox folder.

To check if you have any symlinks affecting your account, I'd like you to run the following command:

1) Open your Terminal app (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal). You can also search for "Terminal" using the magnifying glass at the top of your screen.

2) Copy and paste the following line into the Terminal:

find ~/Dropbox -type l -exec ls -lah {} \;

This should give you a list of symlinks in your Dropbox folder and where they point to. The list the command provides shows you the full file path to every symlink in your account.

We recommend that you remove these symlinks from your Dropbox account. You can do that by following the file paths that are provided when you run the command, and remove the files in your Dropbox folder by dragging them elsewhere on your computer (if you don't want them deleted).

After you've removed all of the symlinks you can identify from the Terminal command, please quit Terminal, open it again, and run the command again to ensure that no symlinks remain in your Dropbox folder.

If the symlink pathway is part of a single file that is visible in your Dropbox folder on your computer, this symlink may be part of a container file. Container files look like regular files if you look at them on your computer, but they're actually wrappers that contain other file types inside of them. These may include files necessary for the application to run properly and load all the components that the file requires. Some examples of these types of files are iPhoto libraries, Aperture files or iWork files. In these cases, you may want to remove the entire container file, rather than just the symlink itself, as removing just a component of the container file could damage the container file and therefore you may have problems when opening it.

In general, we recommend users move the actual folders into the Dropbox folder and then symlink back to the original locations. Please just keep in mind that we don't generally support the use of symlinks due to the issues that can arise when they are added to Dropbox.

After you remove the symlinks, it can take some time for syncing to get back to normal.

I recommend restarting your computer and then checking on the status of Dropbox. Please give the application some time to re-index and begin the sync process again.

Hopefully this should resolve your issue.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Which version of Dropbox?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

mbeck
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I don't know. It's not in Dropbox Info. Where do I find the version number?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
You need to mouse over the Dropbox icon - where it tells you what its up to (e.g. indexing....)

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

mbeck
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks. Version 29.4.20.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there,

If the Dropbox desktop application is using a lot of CPU time, then something is affecting the way it syncs, as you're also experiencing currently.

I believe you could have a number of symlinks, which occur when folders are added to Dropbox that reference directories outside of the Dropbox folder or inside of the Dropbox folder but in a different folder.

I'll now go into details about what happens and how to remove them, so please take your time reading over my post!

As these symlinks may reference locations where Dropbox may have limited accessibility, they can cause various issues, namely high CPU usage, poor syncing performance, permissions issues and quota usage disparities are a few of the problems that often come up when symlinks are added to the Dropbox folder.

To check if you have any symlinks affecting your account, I'd like you to run the following command:

1) Open your Terminal app (Located at /Applications/Utilities/Terminal). You can also search for "Terminal" using the magnifying glass at the top of your screen.

2) Copy and paste the following line into the Terminal:

find ~/Dropbox -type l -exec ls -lah {} \;

This should give you a list of symlinks in your Dropbox folder and where they point to. The list the command provides shows you the full file path to every symlink in your account.

We recommend that you remove these symlinks from your Dropbox account. You can do that by following the file paths that are provided when you run the command, and remove the files in your Dropbox folder by dragging them elsewhere on your computer (if you don't want them deleted).

After you've removed all of the symlinks you can identify from the Terminal command, please quit Terminal, open it again, and run the command again to ensure that no symlinks remain in your Dropbox folder.

If the symlink pathway is part of a single file that is visible in your Dropbox folder on your computer, this symlink may be part of a container file. Container files look like regular files if you look at them on your computer, but they're actually wrappers that contain other file types inside of them. These may include files necessary for the application to run properly and load all the components that the file requires. Some examples of these types of files are iPhoto libraries, Aperture files or iWork files. In these cases, you may want to remove the entire container file, rather than just the symlink itself, as removing just a component of the container file could damage the container file and therefore you may have problems when opening it.

In general, we recommend users move the actual folders into the Dropbox folder and then symlink back to the original locations. Please just keep in mind that we don't generally support the use of symlinks due to the issues that can arise when they are added to Dropbox.

After you remove the symlinks, it can take some time for syncing to get back to normal.

I recommend restarting your computer and then checking on the status of Dropbox. Please give the application some time to re-index and begin the sync process again.

Hopefully this should resolve your issue.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

mbeck
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

AgentJay,

Problem SOLVED! Thank you so much! I appreciate you taking the time to explain what was happening and tell me how to resolve the situation. My computer is acting like its old self again! There was only one folder causing the trouble; I moved it to my desktop and problem solved. Three cheers!

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

lifting-up-glass

Keep on syncin'!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    mbeck Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?