cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: A certain icon overlay doesn't work in Windows

A certain icon overlay doesn't work in Windows

Andrew K.24
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have been working to resolve issues regarding icon overlays.  After reading a lot of posts on this forum, I figured out how to edit my registry and move Dropbox overlays to the top of the list, giving them priority.  This worked - with one odd exception.  The icon for mixed state files won't display no matter what I do.  According to this link, that should be DropboxExt09.  (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Shell_Icon_Overlay_Identifiers) 

I realize this is a minor issue.  But having spent a lot of time on the general issue, I am hoping someone can help me fix this one quirk.

Thanks ...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Andrew K.24
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

With thanks to Buster from Dropbox support, I resolved this problem.  In case anyone else has a similar issue, here are the steps that I took.

1.  Uninstalled Dropbox and restarted my computer. 

2.  Using the registry editor (Run REGEDIT), deleted "Dropbox" and "DropboxUpdate" registry entries, checking the following two locations:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\

3.  Made sure that remaining Dropbox folders did not exist or were deleted by checking the following locations in Windows Explorer: %APPDATA%
%PROGRAMFILES%
%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%

4.  Manually deleted any remaining Dropbox icon overlays in this area of the registry:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers

5.  Restarted my system and installed the newest version of Dropbox.

6.  After Dropbox installed and everything was indexed, I made sure that the ten Dropbox overlay icon overlays were in the first ten spots in the registry area from step #4. 

7.  I restarted my system again, and all the icons worked.  (I use OneDrive for work, and the icons there stayed in place even though their overlays are now "subordinated" to the Dropbox overlays in the registry.)

A complicated fix for a relatively minor problem, but glad to have the mystery solved.  Thanks again to Buster from Dropbox support!

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Andrew K.24, thanks for joining the Community!

We haven’t heard of any specific overlays that aren’t working when it isn’t related to the 15 icon limit.

Could you check that you do have a mixed state folder on your account, which is one that contains both online-only and local files.

If you do have one, does it show any overlay at all? Could you forward a screenshot, while hiding personal info, of the folder and the files inside it to confirm it should be a mixed state folder?

Keep me posted!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Andrew K.24
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

Thank you for replying.  I took a screenshot, but am not adept enough to block out my personal information.  Can I DM it to you?  It clearly shows a file structure with the top-level file having no icon, and the two sub-folder with icons - one showing a green check for local sync, the other showing a cloud.

I realize this is not an end-of-the-world issue, but I am puzzled.  I have a laptop that is set up exactly the same way, and all the icons work there.

-Andy

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Could you try reinstalling the desktop app directly by clicking this link (without uninstalling the app for now) to see if this helps to repair the icon?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Andrew K.24
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you, Jay.

That did not resolve the issue.  BTW, all of the icons show on the desktop app.  I would like them all to show in Windows Explorer.  I use several different services and drives and it is helpful for me to see them at the same time, knowing what is syncing, local, on the cloud, etc.

Again, if I could DM your or contact you directly, I would be happy to share the screenshot that I mentioned in my previous reply.

-Andy

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Since it still isn't working, I'd recommend contacting support directly in order for the team there to look into this matter in more detail.

From there you can forward the screenshot if need be.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Andrew K.24
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you again, Jay.   I'll give it a whirl.

-Andy

Andrew K.24
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

With thanks to Buster from Dropbox support, I resolved this problem.  In case anyone else has a similar issue, here are the steps that I took.

1.  Uninstalled Dropbox and restarted my computer. 

2.  Using the registry editor (Run REGEDIT), deleted "Dropbox" and "DropboxUpdate" registry entries, checking the following two locations:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\

3.  Made sure that remaining Dropbox folders did not exist or were deleted by checking the following locations in Windows Explorer: %APPDATA%
%PROGRAMFILES%
%PROGRAMFILES(x86)%

4.  Manually deleted any remaining Dropbox icon overlays in this area of the registry:  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers

5.  Restarted my system and installed the newest version of Dropbox.

6.  After Dropbox installed and everything was indexed, I made sure that the ten Dropbox overlay icon overlays were in the first ten spots in the registry area from step #4. 

7.  I restarted my system again, and all the icons worked.  (I use OneDrive for work, and the icons there stayed in place even though their overlays are now "subordinated" to the Dropbox overlays in the registry.)

A complicated fix for a relatively minor problem, but glad to have the mystery solved.  Thanks again to Buster from Dropbox support!

StopMessingWithOverlayIcons
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

For those who are tired of editing regedit after every major Dropbox update please check out my idea https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-ideas/Add-option-to-disable-icon-overlays-in-Windows-Explore...

Need more support?