cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: I cannot rename a file in the Dropbox folder

I cannot rename a file in the Dropbox folder

DS15
New member | Level 2

Good Morning Everyone

hope someone help me.

We use the dropbox from desktop file.

If I tried to re-name the file in the desktop, it doesn't let me change longer ( It used to be okay).

However, if I re-named the file in the Dropbox Website, it let me change the name longer. ( it automatically changed the name in my desktop file too)

Then, I cannot open the file from the desktop until I rename to shorter or copy to additional file to rename shorter.

I want to rename the file in the desktop and open it without rename to shorter.

Can anyone help me to fix the issue?

7 Replies 7

Mark
Super User II

I assume you are using a Windows device? 

If so that limitation is from Windows itself, not Dropbox. There is a limit on how long file folder paths can be and so if its longer than that it wont sync/open or work etc. There is no way round that except shrinking the whole path (ie. starting at C:\) and seeing what you can rename to make it smaller. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

DS15
New member | Level 2

HI Mark

Yes we are using Window. but my question is, we used to rename to certain length?. but now it doesn't let us rename even certain length

Thank you for your help

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @DS15, like Mark mentioned, there is a limitation to how long a file or folder path can be.

If you move the files somewhere higher in the folder hierarchy, you should be able to rename it.

For more info on naming files, you can see this article.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

chankane
New member | Level 2

I use a Mac and I have the same issue! I don't know why it's like this, it's not a long file name. I wonder if it's some sort of secret file attribute? 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @chankane! Do you mind sending a screenshot of what you see when renaming the file? 

Also, what’s your Dropbox app’s syncing status and app version?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Jeff-C-SFL
Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

I'm having the same issue with long file names...

Previously, there was no issue with the file name length. However after a re-install of the OS (other issue...) when the file store location was selected, Dropbox added a duplicate named sub directory. Now, many files are showing "file name too long" errors.

What is more, I am not able to rename the files "in place" to a shorter truncated name (to accommodate the duplicate sub-directory length mentioned above), and cannot open files with out extra steps (>Moving the file to the desktop or something, >>renaming the file, and >>>placing the file back in it's original location).

Also, I'm concerned that other users in our group may be having similar issues and do not understand the error and are not able to communicate the error for help...

It seems that it is only with files located in Dropbox, that I am not able to: "Shorten the File Name" - In Place...

(Note: I have a lot of data - all stored in the Cloud AND Locally - I would like to avoid downloading all that data again, if possible... (Lots of bandwidth usage, It's a lot of writing on the SSD, and the time is a concern.

I definitely don't want to have to figure out file by file a renaming task...
And yes, I want all the data Local and in the cloud. I have plenty of drive space on my device. Thanks! :- )

Please advise.

Thank you. 🙂

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Jeff-C-SFL, thanks for your contribution to this thread.

Indeed, file and folder paths have a certain character limit, which you can see more about here.

However, can you clarify what you mean when you say that Dropbox added a duplicate named sub-directory after your OS was reinstalled?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?