cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Different Sync Users

Multiple Different Sync Users

BillGr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Good morning. 

Im working for a business that is using Dropbox as a means for us to transfer files between devices around the city. We all have our own username, but all log into the same dropbox. My question is if I have 3-4 different systems all setup to SYNC their dropbox folder, how does it decide which one takes priority? For example If i have folder X, Y and Z on PC 1, but then  on PC 2 I've made adjustments to Folder X. When PC 2 goes to sync to dropbox, how does it decide if it should upload the adjustments PC 2 made to folder X or to sync back to the Folder X original that is present on the other two PC?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @BillGr, sorry to jump in here! 

In the example you provided, you mentioned that Computer 1 would be offline, while Computer 2 wouldn't. 

Therefore, any changes from Computer 2 would sync online, and then when Computer 1 would become available, the deletions would sync as secondary to the web, therefore to the entire system of computers too. 

Which means, that the content should be deleted from all the devices. 

Keep in mind that computers sync directly with the Dropbox website, not with each other.

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @BillGr, thanks for posting on our Community!

I'm assuming that you're all part of the same Dropbox for Business teams account - correct?

In reality, both computers will sync the changes you applied to your files, but you'll need to keep in mind that if those edits are simultaneous on the same files, you might end up with conflicted copies

I hope this helps! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

BillGr
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you for quick response!

Yes we're all part of the same dropbox system. So realistically there shouldn't ever be the same file worked on at the same time by different users, but there could be at different times. 

So my second example would be : 

Computer 1 deletes a few files from his end while he is OFFLINE. During the same day Computer 2 has made adjustments to this folder. On the following day when Computer 1 re-connects online and sync's his dropbox what will happen? Will his deleted folder become deleted on the whole dropbox community? Or will his computer receive the updated worked on folder Computer 2 had done at a different location?

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @BillGr, sorry to jump in here! 

In the example you provided, you mentioned that Computer 1 would be offline, while Computer 2 wouldn't. 

Therefore, any changes from Computer 2 would sync online, and then when Computer 1 would become available, the deletions would sync as secondary to the web, therefore to the entire system of computers too. 

Which means, that the content should be deleted from all the devices. 

Keep in mind that computers sync directly with the Dropbox website, not with each other.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    BillGr Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?