cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why did the location of my Dropbox folder change?

Why did the location of my Dropbox folder change?

Alex A.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Today I noticed that right clicking on files in my Dropbox folder (the ones pinned to my Finder sidebar) did not bring up the Dropbox menu options.

After further investigation I realized that Dropbox had moved my entire directory into /Users/library and displays this message, buried within preferences:

This version of macOS requires Dropbox folders to be stored here:

/Users/alex/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox

I received no notice that this was happening. I have no idea when it happened and I have no way to know what version the files in the new directory are. What a mess!

Any advice on how to ensure my files are up to date and if it's safe to delete the old dropbox directory?

Thanks everyone

I'm on v147.2.4724 of the Mac client on a M1 Macbook with Monterey 12.3.1

23 Replies 23

Gerald B.5
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for the response @splinegear. The link to the Google Drive post does explain it very well but it still does not excuse Dropbox from not warning about a not insignificant change, describing why it's needed and what immediate options are available (like not upgrading at that time).

splinegear
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I totally agree @Gerald B.5 . If you see above it has left me pretty hooped myself. 

I reached out to Dropbox support for help in capturing my unsynchronized files. However, my ticket was closed with this response:

> As per our conversation, you requested to receive assistance on an issue you are having with the Dropbox folder location changing on your macOS Monterey from an external to an internal drive.
> After reviewing the issue closely with our specialized team, it seems that the issue you are experiencing occurred due to some changes applied to this version of macOS, which are also affecting the location of your Dropbox folder.
> Furthermore, kindly note that for the time being, we are unfortunately not able to provide a workaround in regards to moving the Dropbox folder back to the old location, however rest assured Dropbox is actively working on full support for macOS 12.3 (Monterey) and higher.

Currently looking for alternative solutions.

Gerald B.5
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I am somewhat fortunate. I do have plenty of local drive space. In your case, @splinegear, I would be livid. Over the years, I have had Dropbox on external drives, secondary drives in the machine, even SD Cards in years long gone. This new inflexibility is hugely limiting.

I might start exploring other options if they don't provide some solutions as, I agree, this is a disaster. I have a lot of workflow setup that no longer works with this auto move. I can live without it for now but I am hoping I can recover the files back to where I had them before this "event". Clearly, Dropbox is asleep at the switch or just does not care about their users.

vr_driver
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yep, same here. What a stuff up this is. I only just upgraded DB too, and use a dedicated external drive to support this cloud storage.

Not impressed at all.

DropBox is now completely unusable. I have an SSD with 2TB of storage set aside for the 2TB account on DropBox.

I only have 100GB of space on my MacMini available.

If this can't be solved I'll be seeking a refund.

willit63
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Utterly unacceptable Dropbox moved the default location of the local sync folder and removed the option to move the folder to a custom location without adequate notification. Even now, the documentation on this isn't real clear and I've been unable to find a reasonable explanation for why this was done.

What is the benefit of this change? Nothing I've seen so far. Only confusion and workflow disruption.

I may be using Dropbox to sync file between devices, but they're still my files. It's not okay for Dropbox to move them around on my local drive without my consent.

I was actually considering moving to a paid subscription. This incident has eliminated that possibility.

This (along with using the lamest avatars in interweb history) is exactly how great companies fail.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @willit63, welcome to our Community! 

Feel free to have a look into this thread, which can answer why this change took place.

If you have any questions, let me know. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

EvModder
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This change has broken so much of my workflow, and I have lost numerous files irrecoverably.
This is what finally did it for me; I am leaving Dropbox (and considering doing the same with Apple at my next hardware refresh opportunity).

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @EvModder, I am sorry to hear about that.

When you say that you lost numerous files, would you like to let me know more, in regards to this situation?

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

EvModder
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I didn’t realize the change had taken place (because of no notification), and all my stuff referenced file paths in the old location, /User/MyName/Dropbox/.
Files that I deleted from one machine (but expected to still be in the cloud and on other devices) ended up just getting deleted permanently because the folder was no longer syncing. Some of these I had older versions of in the /Library/CloudStorage/ path, but not all, and even for those there appears to be a fair bit of corruption because of the location change. This sort of thing shouldn’t have been done without an explicit popup asking user verification of the change first

Gerald B.5
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

By the way, I deleted Dropbox entirely from my system (not the files). Rebooted and did a full and detailed reinstall setting my old location then used CLI to change the files location to the old location and voila, back in operation. I just don't understand why Dropbox never asked if I wanted to move my files!! I did not and now all my workflows are restored. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

EvModder Explorer | Level 4
    johannes_b Explorer | Level 4
    Metasteve New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    Gerald B.5 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?