cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you on accessibility tools and features for Dropbox - get involved in the conversation here.

Dropbox desktop client builds

Download the latest Dropbox beta or stable build.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stable Build 54.4.90

Stable Build 54.4.90

clientreleases
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for using Dropbox! The desktop client is regularly updated with many improvements and fixes.

Download

Windows Standard Installer Offline Installer
Mac OS X Standard Installer Offline Installer
Linux x86_64 Offline Installer x86 OfflineInstaller

Auto-updates: In progress

9 Replies 9

Régis1
Explorer | Level 4

No changelog ?

DesktopReleases
Dropbox Staff

Sorry about the delay! The changes in this build are as follows:

• Added a prompt to free up disk space with Selective Sync when the user is low on disk space.
  • Fixed a rare bug where the “Import photos and videos” preferences setting sometimes failed to save upon changing it and immediately restarting Dropbox.
  • Other minor fixes.

Michael S.189
Explorer | Level 4

What changed in how Dropbox does macOS notifications? Now I'm seeing an endless series of update notificaitons, even after the files are supposedly all in sync. It is showing new notifications for files that were updated DAYS ago.

Zav
Dropbox Staff

Hi Michael. I'm an engineer at Dropbox trying to get you an answer--could you let us know which update notifications you're seeing exactly? A screenshot would be most helpful.

Flow9
Helpful | Level 5

What the point of the desktop app when you can upload by web?

Michael S.189
Explorer | Level 4

It was the Dropbox macOS notifications for a) a file has changed (or something to that effect) and b) x files have changed.  I can't give more details because the notifications are gone, and I can't recreate.  Dropbox has updated on both machines to the next stable build, 55.4.171.

Right now the Dropbox Notifications tab has everything checked, which is: @mentions, comments on files, tasks assigned to me, files and folders shard with me, opened files and folders, new files synced, edits to files.   The notifications I was seeing were related to edits to files.

With the current stable build, I'm not seeing any macOS notifications. I tried creating a new file ("new files synced", I presume) and changing a file ("edits to files"). No notification was produced.

With build 54.4.90, it acted like it was only doing about one notification per second, so even though there were a bunch of changes, they continued long past when Dropbox finished synching. It either should have produced the notifications more quickly, or coalescesed them more aggresively into the "x files have changed" notification.

And, it appeared that there was something going on related to past updates. That is, the file actually synced the previous day, but I didn't get the notify until I woke the screen up. 

So now I'm not sure where we are. Was there a problem in 54.4.90 that was fixed in the current build? Or does the current build have its own problem, since now there are no notifications?

Michael S.189
Explorer | Level 4

We should probably move this conversation somewhere else, since build 55.4.171 has the same problem.

I said yesterday that there are no notifications. That's not exactly true. I was getting some "You changed file" and "You changed n files" notifications. But not others.

I just did an experiment:

1. Save new file in root of dropbox on machine A. Result: it synched to machine B, but there was no notification.
  2. Changed data in the file. Result: in synced to machine B, but there was no notification.
  3. Renamed the file. Result: I started getting notifications, about 1 every 5 seconds, for file changes that happened DAYS ago. Maybe even for all updates since last Monday.  I did the rename 6 minutes ago, it it is still sending notifications. It just now caught up to the test I ran yesterday where I said there are no notifications.

So the problem here is that for some reason, Dropbox isn't sending the notification, and instead it is saving it, until later something triggers a flood of all of the pending notifications. But realize that the file syncs are happening instantly, as usual. It is just the notification that is delayed.

Is what changed that Dropbox is now using macOS native notifications vs. some Dropbox private notification? I noticed that recently, perhaps coincident with this issue, the Dropbox notifications are Alerts, not Banners. Meaning, they stick until dismissed.  (This is the kind of thing where having release notes would help in troubleshooting!)

OK, it finally finished with the notifications, after 10 minutes.  10 minutes * 12 per minute = 120 old notifications.

Clarence L.
Dropbox Staff

We've identified an issue with v54/v55 that may have been impacting your notifications -- this has been addressed as part of v56.  Can you try installing the v56 beta?

[Dropbox's notifications has historically been configured as alerts and that has not changed in v54/v55]

Michael S.189
Explorer | Level 4

I tested beta build 56.3.89 with the same scenario as I described in support ticket #8251960. It notified properly:

• It sent notifications for files that were updated while the destination computer was offline, once it came back online
  • The act of updating files while the computer was offline did not block future notifications
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Michael S.189 Explorer | Level 4
    Clarence L. Dropbox Staff
    Flow9 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?