cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Changing OAuth2 Access Token Manually

Changing OAuth2 Access Token Manually

charlesfish
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hey guys,

I created a Dropbox App using developer and I was wondering if I could manually set the OAuth2 access token? I was hoping that I could set it to a value that I choose, but I don't seem to have an option for that. Do I have to just us an auto-generated one? I am using the free account, so if there is an account to purchase I am able to do that.

Thanks!!

Charles

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No, there isn't a way to retrieve old access tokens from Dropbox. Note that you shouldn't need to, though. Any particular app-user pair (such as an app you created connected to your own account) can have multiple access tokens.

It sounds like you're referring to using the "Generate" button on the app's page on the App Console to get an access token for your app on your account. That will generate and show you an access token when you use it, but it won't give the same access token if you return to the page again later (or just refresh the page). The intent is that you would store and re-use a given access token, if desired.

In any case, creating a new access token doesn't invalidate old ones, so you can continue using old ones even if you've created new ones too.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No, Dropbox doesn't offer the ability to set your own access token strings. You'll need to use the strings generated by Dropbox.

charlesfish
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Is there anyway to check what the current Auth 2 key is or revert to an old one? It looks like the only way we can check what the key is is by generating a new one, which doesn't seem ideal. Also, we accidentally generated a new one, so now we have a bunch of devices that have an old key. It would be nice to revert back to that old key so those devices can be upgraded again.

Thanks again!!

Charles

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

No, there isn't a way to retrieve old access tokens from Dropbox. Note that you shouldn't need to, though. Any particular app-user pair (such as an app you created connected to your own account) can have multiple access tokens.

It sounds like you're referring to using the "Generate" button on the app's page on the App Console to get an access token for your app on your account. That will generate and show you an access token when you use it, but it won't give the same access token if you return to the page again later (or just refresh the page). The intent is that you would store and re-use a given access token, if desired.

In any case, creating a new access token doesn't invalidate old ones, so you can continue using old ones even if you've created new ones too.

Need more support?