cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Feedback: The Embedder Launched in Preview

TaylorKrusen
Dropbox Staff
New feature alert! Dropbox is previewing a new pre-built component called the File and Folder Embedder. Simply paste a JavaScript snippet into your code and you’ve added the ability to turn Dropbox shared links into interactive, embedded previews. It’s never been easier to provide your users with the ability to view and interact directly with their Dropbox files and folders. You can read more about the Embedder on our developer blog or the Embedder documentation

We want your feedback! While in the Preview phase, we’re actively adding enhancements, new controls, and new supported filetypes to the Embedder.

What features would you like to see? How do your users interact with their Dropbox files from your app? Please post your thoughts or ideas about the Embedder below. Willing to give us more direct feedback? This April, we’re offering a chance to win a $200 Amazon gift card for folks that fill out this survey. Completing the survey counts as your entry into the sweepstakes*.

Legal disclaimer:
Navigating to the survey in this forum post will direct you to our Qualtrics survey website. All information you enter will be treated in accordance with the Dropbox Privacy Policy. Dropbox will never ask you for your password or billing information via invitations to surveys or in surveys themselves.

*NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW. Ends April 30, 2020 at 9:00pm Pacific Time. Must be 18+, have reached the age of majority in state of residence, and be a legal resident of the U.S. Sponsor: Dropbox, Inc. Odds of winning depend on the number of entries received.  Click here for complete rules.
39 Replies 39

kevin g.1
Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

It would be great to be able to start in grid view when embedding with a tags. Calling the embedder directly isn't playing nicely with hidden tabs.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@kevin g.1 Thanks for the note! I'll pass this along as a feature request but I can't promise if or when that might be implemented. 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@TobiasR @pcuadros @thefreshlab We've updated the Embedder implementation to better handle these cases and improve the error reporting when needed. Unfortunately, due to some of the new cross-site behaviors in some modern browsers we can't always display the content directly (depending on the user's browsers settings and behaviors), but the Embedder should now work more reliably when dealing with these restrictions, including showing some error messaging and a link to the content when it can't be displayed directly. Please give it a try and let us know if you're still seeing anything not working as expected. Thanks!

James_T
Helpful | Level 6

The embedder is a great idea, but I wish it was much more flexible...

1. Make it possible to adjust it's colors etc. to make it integrate better into an existing design.

2. Make it possible to specify folders/files that should be excluded

3. The header is wasting too much space. Even in the "small" header, it's a big waste of real estate.

4. Show how many files are in each folder, or at least show if it's empty.

5. Be able to specify the text in the header, instead of showing the name of the root folder. E.g the shared folder may be named "Files shared to web". But that makes no sense when shown as the title in the header on a web page. It would make more sense to be able to set the title to be "Browse the files in Project xxx" 

6. An upload feature would be amazing.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@James_T 1-6. Thanks for all the feedback! I'm sending this along to the team.

7. I see you opened a new thread for this, so I'll follow up with you there.

Sarut
Explorer | Level 3
Look

juhaelee
New member | Level 2

With the death of the third party cookie, is there a new solution that is being developed for the Embedder? If my users authenticate with dropbox within the app, can I do something like pass in the their Access Token within the url of the embedder?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@juhaelee I don't have any updates on the Embedder to share, but I'll pass this along as a feature request for an access token-based option like that. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though.

Bdice
New member | Level 2

is this active yet?

I'd like to build a website where people can browse thru a designated folder.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Bdice Yes, the Dropbox Embedder is available for use and you can find the documentation for it here.

Need more support?