cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Timeline for Paper 2020 migration

Timeline for Paper 2020 migration

mitko-slapdash
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello, according to the following migration guide, the classical Dropbox Paper endpoints will stop working this month:
https://www.dropbox.com/lp/developers/reference/paper-migration-guide

However, according to this FAQ page, it says that Paper 2020 will be rolled out to users over the next following months:

https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/paper/paper-2020-faqs

My question is: is there a chance that there will be a gap in coverage, where some users are not migrated to Paper 2020, yet their API stops working? How many months would the migration take?

We have some customers which use Dropbox Paper, but we currently only support the Paper 2020 version, since it didn't make sense to invest time to build over the deprecated API. They keep on asking for support for Dropbox Paper, and we keep telling them "soon 🙂 ".

It would help to know if you're currently expecting to do the bulk of migration this month, or if there could be multiple month delay, but I know future timeline is hard to predict 😉 so I wouldn't ask for exact timeline of the migration, just any best guess you might have. 

30 Replies 30

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

We've extended this migration to ensure a smooth experience for all, and will keep the legacy Paper API available until the migration is done for everyone. You can find the latest information in the Paper Migration Guide.

Steve J.5
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have a business account, and we are bringing on more users and finding inconsistencies between accounts (i.e. personal accounts that have been recently created have access to Dropbox Paper 2020, and our business accounts do not.  We're starting to see .paper files appearing in our Dropbox.  While it appears that they can be opened, they end up outside of the traditional Dropbox Paper filing system.  It's creating inconsistencies that are getting frustrating.

We've used Dropbox for 10 years, and are heavy users of Paper.  This delay is very, very frustrating.  Welcome to Q3 2021, still no timeline for migration.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@Steve J.5 Thanks for the feedback! I'll pass this along to the team.

Tobias3
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This is an absolute joke. We have half our team on the 2020, the other half on the old version, and it is a huge annoyance. I would expect that a company like Dropbox has a product manager for paper that is aware of that annoyance without forum moderators passing it along. How can Dropbox behave so unprofessionally? It is Q3 2021, you are almost 2 years behind without a piep on when paying customers can expect this to be fixed.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@Tobias3 Thanks for sharing this feedback! I'll make sure the team sees this.

endreymarcell
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

+1 I've also been waiting for this migration to happen for a long time, and I'm quite frustrated that I still haven't been migrated.

endreymarcell
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

If I delete my account, can I register again with the same email? I understand new users get the 2020 version of Paper so if that's all it takes, I'm willing to play a bit of back and forth with my files and docs to finally get the proper version.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@endreymarcell Thanks for the feedback! And yes, deleting an account does free up the email address on it.

endreymarcell
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Perfect, thank you! I'll try to do that then.

gasparov
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

hmmm...

Q2 2022 now...

Paper is dead

Need more support?