cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: 409 reset error for list_folder/continue api from business endpoint

409 reset error for list_folder/continue api from business endpoint

saritafurtado
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I'm trying to retrieve folder items of team member by following this link https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/API-Support-Feedback/How-to-get-all-the-files-and-folders-of-a-busin....

I am able to get result from list_folder api but when I pass cursor to list_folder/continue api I get below error.

{
    "error_summary": "reset/..",
    "error": {
        ".tag": "reset"
    }
}

Going through forum replies what I understood from this error is that the cursor is invalid or it has expired.

Please help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

1) The list_folder 'limit' parameter is not a hard limit, per the documentation. It can technically return slightly more (or even less) than the limit. You should always check 'has_more' and call back to list_folder/continue if it's true.

2) You can use the 'Dropbox-API-Path-Root' header for each list_folder call, but is not required. If it is not supplied, the API will default to the "home" behavior. You can find more information in the Namespace Guide.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Can you share the code/output for these calls so we can take a look? Thanks in advance!

saritafurtado
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I was trying this in dropbox api explorer and postman

cursor.png

business_folder_items_api.png.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I see you're specifying a particular 'Dropbox-API-Path-Root' header on the /2/files/list_folder/continue call. Did you also specify that for the /2/files/list_folder call?

If not, you will get this 'reset' error. You should make sure you keep the 'Dropbox-API-Path-Root' usage consistent for any particular cursor. That is, if you call /2/files/list_folder with a particular 'Dropbox-API-Path-Root' you should use that same 'Dropbox-API-Path-Root' for the next call to /2/files/list_folder/continue. (Or, if you didn't use it, omit it again.)

saritafurtado
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Yes it is working now if I put 'Dropbox-API-Path-Root'  in /list_folder api.

But while doing this I noticed two things.

1) the results fetched with the limit count is not same as limit.

Eg. /list_folder api with 'Dropbox-API-Select-User' and limit 5 gives me 5 entries and has_more true

But /list_folder api with 'Dropbox-API-Select-User', 'Dropbox-API-Path-Root' and limit 5 gives me 3 entries and has_more true.

If i use the cursor in the /list_folder/continue I get more entries. If there are more than 5 entries it should give 5 entries in first result right?

2) /list_folder  api works without 'Dropbox-API-Path-Root'?

I was using 'Dropbox-API-Path-Root' to test whether the namespace ID passed in as the root is the correct root namespace for the user. And this namespace id can change if the user joins/leaves/changes teams.

So my question is can we use /list_folder api only with 'Dropbox-API-Path-Root'? Because to retrieve members folder items you need member_id.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

1) The list_folder 'limit' parameter is not a hard limit, per the documentation. It can technically return slightly more (or even less) than the limit. You should always check 'has_more' and call back to list_folder/continue if it's true.

2) You can use the 'Dropbox-API-Path-Root' header for each list_folder call, but is not required. If it is not supplied, the API will default to the "home" behavior. You can find more information in the Namespace Guide.

Need more support?