cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API "List Folder" , no team folder

API "List Folder" , no team folder

expertbet
New member | Level 2

The Api-Call "list-folder" only read und list my private folder, but not the team folder. All folders in the team folder are not displayed.

All permissions are set and i also tried the call with a "Dropbox-API-Select-Admin"-Header.

Without the "Admin-Header", no folder are listed because "the OAuth 2 access token you provided is for an entire Dropbox Business team". But with the "Admin-Header" there are only the private folder liested.

What could be my false?

Thomas

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi peeps,

By default, Dropbox API always access user folder as default namespace. For accounts that user folder give access to all data particular user has access to (i.e. personal accounts and business account with team folders configuration), it's ok - you don't need to do anything in addition - the default is fine. For accounts which user folders are subfolders in the account root (business account with team space configuration - as yours seems to be) team spaces are outside your member folder (note team spaces, not classical folders) and that's why the default configuration doesn't work for you. You still have the same access but the folders you're looking for are outside your member folder and that's why stay "invisible". Such folders to become visible (spaces actually), you have to change your API root to match to the account root, not to member's folder (for such accounts they are different things). Changing root can be done using "Dropbox-API-Path-Root" HTTP header. 😉 Take a look here for more info.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Poui
Helpful | Level 5

Same issue, if you look at the "list_folders" api, I am pretty sure you will find all the old teams folder if you have the header 

include_deleted (optional)

set to True, I can't even get my team members ID, the request give me a 500 error

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi peeps,

By default, Dropbox API always access user folder as default namespace. For accounts that user folder give access to all data particular user has access to (i.e. personal accounts and business account with team folders configuration), it's ok - you don't need to do anything in addition - the default is fine. For accounts which user folders are subfolders in the account root (business account with team space configuration - as yours seems to be) team spaces are outside your member folder (note team spaces, not classical folders) and that's why the default configuration doesn't work for you. You still have the same access but the folders you're looking for are outside your member folder and that's why stay "invisible". Such folders to become visible (spaces actually), you have to change your API root to match to the account root, not to member's folder (for such accounts they are different things). Changing root can be done using "Dropbox-API-Path-Root" HTTP header. 😉 Take a look here for more info.

Hope this helps.

Poui
Helpful | Level 5

It worked for me, but some third party app like Make.com (New naming for Intergromat) doesn't allow me to add a header inside their module, is there a way to permanently change an account API-Path-Root like it was before the Saturday update ?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Poui wrote:

..., is there a way to permanently change an account API-Path-Root like it was before the Saturday update ?

No there is no way to change API root permanently. It is and always has been the user/member folder by default - i.e. nothing changed in this regards. The only changed thing is (as you described) your account configuration, that puts your team folders outside your user folder as team spaces. 🙋 That's it, nothing more.

About other third party providers, contact them to inform for the imperfection on their end:

@Poui wrote:

... doesn't allow me to add a header inside their module, ...

Good luck.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@expertbet wrote:

Without the "Admin-Header", no folder are listed because "the OAuth 2 access token you provided is for an entire Dropbox Business team". But with the "Admin-Header" there are only the private folder liested.

@expertbet, In addition to all already said, you miss a fact that all file/folder access operations have to be performed on some user/member behalf! Otherwise error, like the one you got, is something normal. Yes, for all business accounts (regardless their configuration), tokens represent the team, not some user, and that's why you have to add either "Dropbox-API-Select-User" header or "Dropbox-API-Select-Admin" header with corresponding team_member_id (as you partially found out) to represent particular member. 😉

Hope this sheds some more light.

expertbet
New member | Level 2

thank you very much. Now everything works and your explanations have helped me a lot.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

expertbet New member | Level 2
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    Poui Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?