cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API v2: How to get metadata of deleted folder?

API v2: How to get metadata of deleted folder?

Cloud H.1
New member | Level 1

Is it possible to get metadata of a deleted folder using v2 API?

We would like to get ID of folder which has been deleted.

8 Replies 8

Alexandra F.1
New member | Level 1

Do you know the path of the folder which has been deleted? If so, this is possible using  /files/get_metadata, which will return a DeletedMetadata subtype if the file/folder at the requested path has been deleted. (However, the DeletedMetadata object does not include the folder's ID, only its path and name.) If you don't know the path of the folder that was deleted, you can use /list_folder, passing the parameter "include_deleted" as "true," to include metadata entries for deleted files and folders.

Cloud H.1
New member | Level 1

I tried both and neither of these two approaches return ID of the deleted folder 😞

Eric T.32
New member | Level 1

I have the same issue. When I try calling /files/get_metadata on a deleted file that I know exists (or existed at one point), I get a 'path/not_found/' error.

Any update on this?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Hi Eric, no, there's no update on this right now.

In the future though, please do not post on multiple threads for the same issue.

Dmitry G.3
New member | Level 1

Hi, I have same problem - i decided to switch to API v2 (SwiftyDropbox) after using Core API v1 in my project.
In v1, when i deleted files i was still getting deleted metadata, but when trying to get meta of deleted files and folders in v2, i'm getting path not found error.

Is there any update on this issue?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

No update on this right now.

Barry H.8
New member | Level 1

I can note a similar issue with the SwiftyDropbox SDK using the V2 API.  While listFolder(), when used with includeDeleted set to true does include the names of deleted files, a getMetadata() call fails, returning a .tag of "not_found", rather than a Files.DeletedMetadata conformant object.  I guess this is a bug/omission, since V2 is so new.

Gregory, is there an ETA on this defect, or somewhere I should file it?  I did add an issue on the SwiftyDropbox github site.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

There's no update on the issue of getting the ID for a deleted folder.

I'll follow up on your GitHub issue regarding getting metadata from getMetadata for deleted items.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Barry H.8 New member | Level 1
    Dmitry G.3 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?