cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: API v2 equivalent of /1/metadata/link functionality is required

API v2 equivalent of /1/metadata/link functionality is required

tim
Explorer | Level 4

Please let us know the equivalent for API v2 of  /1/metadata/link.

There are countless reasons why this functionality is important for your API -- which you hopefully already know, otherwise I don't know how /1/metadata/link got made in the first place. 

If you need stats, a more detailed request or whatever, please let me know.

June 28 is rapidly approaching and us native mobile developers need LOTS of lead time. Even if I could develop the API v2 version in a heartbeat, fastest release time is almost a week in my world.

15 Replies 15

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Hi Tim, the API v2 version of /1/metadata/link is /2/sharing/get_shared_link_metadata:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/documentation/http/documentation#sharing-get_shared_link_metadata

Unlink /1/metadata/link though, it doesn't return the file listing for links to folders. Do you need that functionality in particular? I'll send this along as a feature request for that if so.

tim
Explorer | Level 4
Yes, I should have been more specific: I know that /2/ endpoint, but it doesn't work for folders (no way to get the files in the folder).
The specific problem is: someone shares a /sh/ shared folder link to a folder. Inside that folder somewhere (e.g. in a subfolder of a subfolder) is a specific file that my app knows to look for, but its location cannot be known due to many variables. In API v1, it just finds it by using /1/metadata/link and recursing through folders until it finds it. Simple. In Api v2 it's broken.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for the additional information. That's helpful. I've sent this along to the team.

ViktorH
New member | Level 2

There are any updates? I need same sub folders functionality

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
No, unfortunately I don't have an update on this.

tim
Explorer | Level 4

Greg I was very frustrated to get this email from Dropbox today. Sure, I spent hours and hours working on my apps' migration to v2 already. And nonetheless, despite my efforts, soon tens of thousands of my users are going to wake up one morning and the app will have stopped working. And there's nothing I can do.

Can you please get this endpoint migrated to v2?

To provide our developers with the most up-to-date features and support a single, consistent platform, we're turning off API v1 soon. You'll need to fully migrate your app to API v2 before the turn off date.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the feedback @tim. I'll bring this up with the team again.

By the way, we are now reviewing requests for extensions to API v1 access. If you'd like an extension for access to API v1, please open an API ticket and include:

- The app key(s) for the app(s) you need an extension for.
- The reason(s) for the extension.
- How long of an extension you're asking for.

tim
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks, I requested an extension for my app ("Grab for Dropbox" on iOS app store, "Grab Media" on dropbox dev portal)

jczorkmid
Explorer | Level 4

I have a very similar need. I've been using /1/metadata/link until now.  I had looked into migrating a while ago, but this feature wasn't in v2.  Now that we're getting down to the wise I tried again to migrate to v2 and I was suprised that there was no way to get the listing any longer.  In fact I didn't even see the equivilant of the 'is_dir' property telling me if the link pointo to a file or directory.  Is this coming any time soon?  v2 API isn't usable for me at all.

Need more support?