cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Access token expiry, Folder or file parentId,

Access token expiry, Folder or file parentId,

Nenciu D.
New member | Level 1

Hello,

I have multiple questions:

1.How to check if access token has expired? For the moment I created a new DropboxClient and if it is null I make a new request for another access token.

2.Is it possible to get the parent id of a folder or file? I've seen that every metadata of a  file or a folder has an id , but they don't have a parentId.

3.Why can't I make a request for a token without redirect_uri? In documentation it apears to be optional , but when I pass it as null to GetAuthorizeUri() method it crashes because redirect_uri is null in a token request (https://api.dropboxapi.com/1/oauth2/token).

Thanks

4 Replies 4

Steve M.
Dropbox Staff
  1. Access tokens don't expire, but they can be invalidated by a user who revokes your app's access. To test an access token, just make an API call and handle the exception for a 401 response. I'm not sure what null value you're checking for, but nothing client-side will tell you if the access token is valid; you need to test it by calling a server-side endpoint.
  2. I assume you're asking about the file IDs in API v2, right? I think you'll need to use the path to determine the parent and call get_metadata on the parent to get its ID. (E.g. if the path is /foo/bar/baz, call get_metadata on /foo/bar.)
  3. Per the OAuth 2 spec, the redirect_uri passed to /token has to match the one used with /authorize, so if you used one there, then you need to use one when you call /token. I believe this requirement is for security purposes, though I'm not 100% sure what security threat it mitigates.

m. chiuq
New member | Level 1

I also want to ask about id.

What is the root folder id?

I use the explorer and even I type / or let it empty, I could not get the metadata of the root folder?

Is anything I type wrong?

Steve M.
Dropbox Staff

"m. chiuq", your post seems unrelated to this thread. Please start your own thread to ask a new question.

m. chiuq
New member | Level 1
Need more support?