cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing legacy Paper docs with the API

Accessing legacy Paper docs with the API

diwakergupta
New member | Level 2

I'm having a lot of trouble working with legacy Paper docs with the API (using Python SDK). Some specific questions:

• How do I get metadata for a Paper doc? I tried getting list of `doc_ids` from `paper_docs_list`, but then a subsequent call to `files_get_metadata` fails with path not found (I'm setting `path` to `id:<doc_id>` from the above call).
  • How do I get metadata for a Paper folder? I'm able to see some folder info using `paper_docs_get_folder_info` but then when I pass in the `id` from response above into `files_get_metadata`, it fails

What I'm trying to accomplish is something like the following:
- iterate over all legacy Paper docs that I created
- for any that are unfiled, move them to a new "Legacy Docs" folder
- for any that already belong in a folder, move that folder under the "Legacy Docs" folder

Thanks!

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@diwakergupta wrote:
  • How do I get metadata for a Paper doc? I tried getting list of `doc_ids` from `paper_docs_list`, but then a subsequent call to `files_get_metadata` fails with path not found (I'm setting `path` to `id:<doc_id>` from the above call).

For any given Paper doc, you shouldn't use both legacy "paper" methods, and filesystem "files" methods. You can only access legacy docs via legacy paper methods, and only access docs in the filesystem via the files methods.

So, for a legacy paper docs (e.g., if you got the doc ID from `paper_docs_list`), you'd need to use `paper_docs_download` or `paper_docs_download_to_file` to retrieve the doc data and metadata.

• How do I get metadata for a Paper folder? I'm able to see some folder info using `paper_docs_get_folder_info` but then when I pass in the `id` from response above into `files_get_metadata`, it fails

Like above, you would only use one or the other. You should use `paper_docs_get_folder_info` only for legacy Paper docs and `files_get_metadata` only for items in the Dropbox filesystem.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?