cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add MetaData to Folder/File in App Directory

Add MetaData to Folder/File in App Directory

JAMESJER
New member | Level 2

How can I add file/folder meta data for an App Folder app via the API. I am getting this error:

Error in call to API function "file_properties/templates/add_for_user": Your API app is an "App Folder" app. It is not allowed to access this API function

Error in call to API function "file_properties/templates/add_for_team": Your API app is an "App Folder" app. It is not allowed to access this API function

According to: https://blogs.dropbox.com/developers/2017/09/dbx-platform-launches-with-three-new-apis/

We have also expanded permissions so that applications with Full Dropbox or App Folder permissions can create templates.

8 Replies 8

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for pointing that out! I'll check in with the team on this discrepancy and follow up here once I have an update on this.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Apologies for the delay. The team confirmed that the blog post was mistaken, and we've corrected it. I've sent this along as a feature request for the ability to use this from app folder apps though.

AlexanderKriss
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I'm develop Android app for backup purpose and I like store backups also on Dropbox.

I like store files into apps folder because I try respect privacy of users and avoid ask access from app to entire dropbox.

I need custom properties include to file metadata for increase speed of initial listing of files. That custom properties is for detailed describe of stored files.

But by doc pages "This endpoint does not support apps with the app folder permission." means for /properties and /templates.

Is there any chance to remove that restriction?

Thanks

Alexander

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@AlexanderKriss Thanks for the feedback! This request is open with the team, but I can't promise if or when it might be implemented. (I'm not aware of any such in progress as the moment unfortunately.)

AlexanderKriss1
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

any progress here please?

Thanks

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@AlexanderKriss1 No, unfortunately I don't have any news on this request.

AlexanderKriss1
Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

any news here please?

It will be really helpfull, when I can got metadata, just when I listing folder, because reading each file, which contain additional metadata is terrible slow.

Thanks

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@AlexanderKriss1 No, unfortunately I don't have any update on this requets.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    AlexanderKriss1 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?