cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding files from a Dropbox link to my account.

Adding files from a Dropbox link to my account.

johnvu93
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This is a feature of Dropbox called "Copy to Dropbox". Please see this image 

I am wondering if there is any API that allows me to do this?

Once the customer enters the URL link into the input, I will automatically retrieve the files through the Dropbox link.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@johnvu93 The Dropbox API doesn't offer a way to copy a folder from a shared link into a connected Dropbox account via the API like the "Copy to Dropbox" feature of the shared link page, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if/when that might be implemented though. (The Dropbox API does offer /2/files/save_url which works with Dropbox shared links, but that only supports files, not folders.)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@johnvu93 wrote:

I am wondering if there is any API that allows me to do this?

Hm... 🤔 What do you need actually using API?

@johnvu93 wrote:

Once the customer enters the URL link into the input, I will automatically retrieve the files through the Dropbox link.

Do you have any issues download files using the link itself? 🧐 Just set "dl=1" at the link end. If you mean to list pointed folder, yes, there is such API point. 😉

Good luck.

johnvu93
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello @Здравко ,

Thank you for your assistance.

I am building a system that allows customers to upload images to the system via Dropbox, but I am currently having issues with the upload speed, which is very slow and causing problems. I have not been able to determine the cause or how to fix it.

My current solution is to use a plugin to upload images to Dropbox in WordPress and then embed it in the system. Once the customer uploads the image to the plugin, I will take the link and copy it to the clients' folder - where I need to place the images accurately.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @johnvu93,

To be honest, I'm not sure fully understand your scenario, but as far as I can see /2/files/get_temporary_upload_link would work much better for you. In such a case you don't need to proxying upload process, but only manage it. Files themself get upload from user browser directly to Dropbox server. Once the files are there, you can easy create shared link and embed it (or to use embedder). Does it, or not? 🧐

johnvu93
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Здравко,

My script would be like this.

Assuming you send me 100 images via Dropbox links. I need an API to automatically add those images to my account. Not download the files.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@johnvu93 The Dropbox API doesn't offer a way to copy a folder from a shared link into a connected Dropbox account via the API like the "Copy to Dropbox" feature of the shared link page, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if/when that might be implemented though. (The Dropbox API does offer /2/files/save_url which works with Dropbox shared links, but that only supports files, not folders.)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    johnvu93 Explorer | Level 4
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?