cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Share your feedback on the Document Scanning Experience in the Dropbox App right here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Folder, scopes, and sharing

App Folder, scopes, and sharing

elsigh
Helpful | Level 5
I'm exploring the new scopes along with the App Folder permission model to see if we can build an app that doesn't request access to Full Dropbox but still allows for sharing for contents within the App Folder.

I'm wondering how to get a shared folder from User A into User B's App Folder

I tried, as User B, mounting the shared folder and then moving it to within the App Folder in the Dropbox web UI but that failed without detail.

I was really hoping to be able to do this somehow programmatically as User B but I don't know how that would be possible given:

"Error in call to API function "sharing/list_mountable_folders": Your API app is an "App Folder" app. It is not allowed to access this API function."

Any recommendations for a strategy here? Thank you.
2 Replies 2

elsigh
Helpful | Level 5

unnamed.png

(this was the outcome of trying to move a folder within User B's App Folder in the Web UI)

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The new scopes functionality is only for granting more granular access to different pieces of functionality on the API (essentially, more granular control over which endpoints can be used), but unfortunately does not offer more options for which content to grant access to or offer a way to support shared folders in app folders.

I can't say if or when Dropbox might introduce the ability to grant access to specific pre-existing/shared paths only or otherwise implement shared folder-app folder compatibility, but I'll pass this along as a feature request.

Apologies I don't have better news for you!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    elsigh Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?