cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appending Dropbox file selector to desktop app

Appending Dropbox file selector to desktop app

vick86spb
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, everyone! I'm trying to append Dropbox file selector to my company's desktop app. Is it possible?
Thank you!

6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @vick86spb  - how are you today?

As I'm not sure I understand your inquiry, could you provide some more information on what you'd like to eventually achieve or provide a screenshot of what's troubling you so we can get a better understanding of the matter at hand? 

Thanks in advance and happy April!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

vick86spb
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, Walter! I'm doing great, thanks! Our company has a desktop messenger for internal communication and all the files are shared in Dropbox; Dropbox paper is the main way for sharing text documents and task descriptions. Right now I have to copy the document link in browser and send it to the person via our messenger. It would be much more convenient to have a Dropbox file selector right in the app.

We are thinking about adding "Dropbox paper" to the list of possible attachments https://cloud.mail.ru/public/39PR/2iAEAib7W, https://cloud.mail.ru/public/53c2/5woRgZnye. When a person clicks on that the window with Dropbox authoristaion opens. If the person is alredy authorized in the app - the list of the documents is shown and the click on any document adds the link to the input field.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for getting back to me with this additional information Vick - much appreciated!

Could you clarify whether you're using a 3rd party app (the messenger you mentioned) or if you're developing your own? 

Our integration with Slack comes in mind but I'll need more information about what your current setup and workflow is as well as  - just to make sure we're on the same page. That way I'll be able to send you the most appropriate information or forward your request to the appropriate department ASAP. 

Thanks!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

vick86spb
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, Walter! We develop it on our own and have full control about it. It's https://itunes.apple.com/ru/app/vk-messenger/id1265763895?mt=12, it's available for downloading for everyone, but inside our company (vk.com, the biggest social network in Russia) we use a little more powerful version of it.

It seems that the way it's made with Slack is fine.

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
Victor 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the clarification Victor - much appreciated!

I believe you're referring to our 'Chooser' as found in the following link: 

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/chooser

I've also moved your post under the relevant section of our Community so the right people get on it and help further with your inquiry. 

Let me know if you need anything else in the meantime!

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@vick86spb Dropbox does offer an API you can use for programmatically listing, uploading, and downloading Dropbox files and Paper documents, among other operations. You can find everything you need to get started with the Dropbox API, including documentation, tutorials, and SDKs here:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers

For the use case you describe, the Dropbox Chooser probably wouldn't be sufficient, so you'd likely want to use the Dropbox API.

For iOS and macOS in particular, we offer both Objective-C and Swift SDKs:

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    vick86spb Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?