cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication to dropbox on tvOS

Authentication to dropbox on tvOS

Guy G.7
New member | Level 1

I want to authenticate to dropbox in tvOS. However, when dropbox opens the authentication dialog, there is not way for the user to fill it- the UI does not meet the tvOS requirements. So I want to open a tvOS dialog for username/password. But Is there a way then to take this data to authenticate manually, i.e. using code that will input the dropbox username and password?

Thanks

36 Replies 36

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

John, have you reviewed the information above in this thread, including the sample code helpfully provided by g r.? Have you hit some issue with the technique described?

John D.64
New member | Level 1

Did it. How to use tvOSDropboxAccessToken ?

By the way, plenty of Swifty forks are on Github trying to support tvOS.

Shane D.6
New member | Level 1

I thought I'd give some info on how I've done authentication with other cloud providers on tvos.  As some have already mentioned, tvos doesn't allow web views.  While some devs go the route of presenting a code to the user, and having them browse to a web site to enter that code, I went another route.  I use a companion iOS app to send the token to the apple tv app, once the user has authenticated via oAuth.  Lots of other tvos apps are going this route, as you don't have to have a web server.  

Sam S.45
New member | Level 1

Fabric's Digits authentication library looks pretty good on tvOS. It would be really nice if Dropbox included support for that as a sign-in method. It looks like it supports some sort of interaction with OAuth. Has Dropbox considered integrating it at all? Alternatively, is there any update on when there will be a SwiftyDropbox version released that is both tvOS native and able to handle authentication mostly on the TV (with little or no server-side coding required on the part of the app developer)?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the feedback. I don't have an update on this on our side though.

ast_shujat a.
New member | Level 1

thanks guyz i followed ur guideline and successfully uploaded my app on TVOS store
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35577203/authentication-to-dropbox-on-tvos 

Shane D.5
New member | Level 1

We've released an app in the Apple TV App Store that allows you to view your Dropbox photos and videos on your Apple TV.  Enjoy!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Shane D.5 New member | Level 1
    ast_shujat a. New member | Level 1
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Sam S.45 New member | Level 1
    Shane D.6 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?