cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorization web page not redirecting back to my app in Android

Authorization web page not redirecting back to my app in Android

TimB-Dev
Helpful | Level 5

In our Android app, I am having an issue where the dropbox.com authorize web page does not redirect back to our app when the user clicks the Allow button.  I wrote a sample app and the OAuth2 flow works fine with that app on the same device\environment. 

The first time you click the Allow button once the page displays, the page seems to refresh in Chrome.  It seems like it's redirecting back to itself.  The app does show up as connected to the account when I look in Settings for the user on dropbox.com.  So that part of the auth flow is working - it's just not redirecting to the app.

I added the AuthActivity to the manifest...

<activity
android:name="com.dropbox.core.android.AuthActivity"
android:configChanges="orientation|keyboard"
android:launchMode="singleTask">
<intent-filter>
<!-- Insert your app key after “db- ...” -->
<data android:scheme="db-xxxxxxx" />

<action android:name="android.intent.action.VIEW" />

<category android:name="android.intent.category.BROWSABLE" />
<category android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT" />
</intent-filter>
</activity>

And I am calling Auth.startOAuth2Authentication() here...

public void authenticateNewDropbox(Activity con)   //++ Added con param
{
// Set bool so we know on Resume that we're logging into Dropbox
mIsDropboxLogin = true;
//Kick off auth2 flow: this launches the browser, and then back to us in OnResume() in the Activity
Auth.startOAuth2Authentication(con, con.getResources().getString(R.string.APP_KEY));
}

The app was previously doing OAuth2 with the v1 SDK and it worked fine.  I've tried a new AppID as well.  I don't see any relevant messages in the Android Monitor in Android Studio.

Been stuck on this for a couple days and I can't understand what I'm doing wrong.  Thanks for any help.

21 Replies 21

Drageniix
Explorer | Level 4
Just wanted to report the same issue using the SDK, redirect uri is in place for a different activity separate from the AuthActivity just in case but still nothing. Tried on emulators and nougat devices.

TimB-Dev
Helpful | Level 5

Just to follow up... Setting the taskAffinity property in the manifest for the dropbox AuthActivity seemed to fix the problem.  The oauth flow is now able to relaunch our app.  I also set excludeFromRecents to true which cleared up another issue but could be involved here as well.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks! I'm glad to hear you were able to track that down.

@Drageniix If you're still seeing this, can you try that as well?

Drageniix
Explorer | Level 4
Can confirm this fixes the issue, thanks Tim!

Rishi
Explorer | Level 4

Can you please elabourate. How to set this attribute and exactly where.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Rishi I believe they were referring to setting 'taskAffinity' and/or 'excludeFromRecents' for the 'com.dropbox.core.android.AuthActivity' in the app's AndroidManifest.xml, e.g., here in the sample:

https://github.com/dropbox/dropbox-sdk-java/blob/master/examples/android/src/main/AndroidManifest.xm...

The Android documentation for these can be found here:

https://developer.android.com/guide/topics/manifest/activity-element

Rishi
Explorer | Level 4

@Greg-DB

@Greg K.  I am glad that you responded. I tried both attributes but it did not helped me. I copied everything from example to my application. And problem is still not resolved.
When I am clicking on manual back after clicking on allow, app does have a token and it is fetching all the files. But I want browser to redirect to my application automatically after clicking allow button.

Please help me. I am stucked on this since 2 days.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Rishi First, for reference, does the redirect work in the Android sample app itself for you?

If so, can you provide your own test project that reproduces this issue so we can reproduce it here and investigate? Thanks in advance! 

Rishi
Explorer | Level 4

@Greg-DB yes, Sample android application is working fine and getting redirected to original app. but I have copied each file in my application, It is not happening. allow is not redirecting from my chrome browser to my application.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Rishi Since the sample application works, it sounds like there's something about how your app is set up that is causing this. 

So that we can reproduce it and look into it, can you make and share a test project that shows this issue? Thanks in advance! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Himalaya10 New member | Level 2
    Rishi Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?