cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't download file using files_download_to_file

Can't download file using files_download_to_file

harrycallard
New member | Level 2

This is really starting to be a pain.

I can't seem to get the correct directory of my file. I'm trying to download a file from my DB using the files_download_to_file() function.

I'm trying to run

dbx.files_download_to_file("F:/Programming/Visual Studio/Programming/Python/dbdltest/Database.xlsx""/Stock_List/Database.xlsx")

I simply get back: DownloadError('path', LookupError('not_found', None)))

What is the actual issue here? I've tried using files_list_folder("") and files_list_folder("/Stock_List") too, to no avail.

When i use files_list_folder("") I get nothing, but when i print(files_list_folder(")) i get a load of garbage jargon.

Surely there is something simple im missing here and it isn't this finnicky to just simply download a file on to my local drive...

1 Reply 1

kylea
Dropbox Staff

This is the Python SDK, correct?

calling print(dbx.files_list_folder("")) will show the full ListFolderResult object. 

To iterate over the results and print just the path, you'll want something like this:

res = dbx.files_list_folder("")
    for entry in res.entries:
        print(entry.path_lower)

That will return valid paths that you can use with the files_download_to_file call.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kylea Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?