cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can we create account in drop box programmatically.

Can we create account in drop box programmatically.

Chetana R.
New member | Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I am new to Dropbox development. I want to create the Dropbox account and application programmatically using Java.

Do we have Java API to create Dropbox account programmatically or is there any way that we can create account programmatically without using Dropbox console.

Any input will be helpful.

Thanks,
Chetana R

18 Replies 18

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The Dropbox API doesn't currently offer a way to programmatically create accounts, but I'll be sure to pass this along as feedback.

Chris R.
Collaborator | Level 10

According to the Dropbox preferences, it says their code is open source, so theoretically you could do anything you like?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Some of the SDKs are open source, but the Dropbox API itself doesn't offer an account creation endpoint to connect to.

Chetana R.
New member | Level 1

Thank you for the reply. Do we have API to create app programmatically ?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

No, there's currently no way to programmatically create an app. I'll be happy to send this along as a request too, but can you elaborate on the use case?

Chetana R.
New member | Level 1

As a programmer I want to avoid manual steps and do complete automation of creating application on Dropbox.Wanted to know whether any API's are available for that or any other way we can do this.

Adam K.9
New member | Level 1

We would like to make our app dropbox-user-only, and for this to work smoothly we need an automatic way to generate an account once the user supplies us with the necessary details . Sending them to your page to create the account will kill conversion.

In our case the call to generate the account would come from the user's IP (via ajax), so its easy for you to monitor for fraud, etc.

Is there any ETA on this?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Unfortunately I don't know if or when programmatic account creation would be implemented, but I'm adding your vote to the request.

G M.9
New member | Level 1

I second this request.

The use case is having our website application managing storage of files for their users using Dropbox as a storage backend, which gives them the change to manage their files through Dropbox Desktop app and Website (actually, all the acces that Dropbox offers). The idea is that the users can create their account from our website.

Need more support?