cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Certificate Issue using put_file?

Certificate Issue using put_file?

DaveP
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi guys, we have an app that was working fine yesterday, but now when we use the client.put_file method we're getting a certificate verification error. Stack trace below -- any ideas please? I've rechecked our app key and secret and all looks correct. As i say, everything was fine yesterday. What a difference a day makes... 😉

File "/home/clicadmin/CLIC_Deployment_Scripts/build_utils/mis_manager.py", line 97, in do_put
self.api_client.put_file(self.current_path + "/" + to_path, from_file, overwrite=True)
File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/dropbox/client.py", line 321, in put_file
File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/dropbox/rest.py", line 264, in PUT
File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/dropbox/rest.py", line 210, in PUT
File "build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/dropbox/rest.py", line 176, in request
dropbox.rest.RESTSocketError: Error connecting to "api-content.dropbox.com": [Errno 1] _ssl.c:504: error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Dave, it sounds like you're using an old version of the API v1 Python SDK, with an outdated certificate file.

We reached out to developers using old SDKs like this last year to warn of this change, but it sounds like that email didn't make it to you unfortunately.

In any case, you should be able to fix this by just upgrading the version of the Python SDK you're using (to get the current certificate file). E.g., if you're using pip, that would a matter of running:

pip install dropbox --upgrade

Also, unrelated, I should note that based on your stack trace, it looks like you're still using API v1, which is itself deprecated. You should move to API v2 when you can. There's functionality for both API v1 and API v2 in the latest version of the Python SDK. You can find instructions on using API v2 functionality in the latest version of the Python SDK readme on GitHub.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Dave, it sounds like you're using an old version of the API v1 Python SDK, with an outdated certificate file.

We reached out to developers using old SDKs like this last year to warn of this change, but it sounds like that email didn't make it to you unfortunately.

In any case, you should be able to fix this by just upgrading the version of the Python SDK you're using (to get the current certificate file). E.g., if you're using pip, that would a matter of running:

pip install dropbox --upgrade

Also, unrelated, I should note that based on your stack trace, it looks like you're still using API v1, which is itself deprecated. You should move to API v2 when you can. There's functionality for both API v1 and API v2 in the latest version of the Python SDK. You can find instructions on using API v2 functionality in the latest version of the Python SDK readme on GitHub.

DaveP
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Star man, that was it thanks. Tbh I'd ruled that out, as the dropbox warnings about the API changing were for around June 2017.  And I'm sure we had upgraded the SDK when the warnings first came out. Obviously not, our bad.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DaveP New member | Level 2
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?