cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couldn't retrieve child elements from the server. Getting this error when want to getfolders at 2 level deep ("/folders_level1/folders_level2") from Root.

Couldn't retrieve child elements from the server. Getting this error when want to getfolders at 2 level deep ("/folders_level1/folders_level2") from Root.

sabbir a.
New member | Level 1

Hi,
I have a client Web application (.Net framework 4.5) and I am using {AppLimit.CloudComputing.SharpBox.CloudStorage} API.
After allowing full access to dropbox, my application can GetFolders from dropbox Root path (/) and also from One level deep (/childfolder_level1), But I cant getfolders from 2 level deep from root like : (/childfolder_level1/childfolder_level2).

Error: Couldn't retrieve child elements from the server
StackTrace :
   at AppLimit.CloudComputing.SharpBox.StorageProvider.DropBox.Logic.DropBoxStorageProviderService.RefreshResource(IStorageProviderSession session, ICloudFileSystemEntry resource)
   at AppLimit.CloudComputing.SharpBox.StorageProvider.BaseObjects.BaseDirectoryEntry.RefreshResource()
   at AppLimit.CloudComputing.SharpBox.StorageProvider.BaseObjects.BaseDirectoryEntry.GetEnumerator()
   at nVision.Core.Lib.Storage.Dropbox.GetFolderContents(String folderName) in c:\nVision Office\nVision Office MVC\nVision.Core\Lib\Storage\Dropbox.cs:line 472

Thanks in advance

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

It looks like this error message is coming from the SharpBox library, and not the Dropbox API itself. As it's made by a third party, we can't provide any support for it of course. If you can print out the error being returned by the Dropbox API though I should be able to offer more guidance. (That is, the Dropbox API returns an error code and message for an API call that fails that should offer some more useful information, but SharpBox doesn't seem to be exposing those.)

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?