cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable comments for a file

Disable comments for a file

nzt_i_need_nzt
New member | Level 2

Hi. How can I disable comments for uploaded file via api? Seached docs without success :confounded:

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
The API doesn't offer a way to disable comments, but I'll pass this along as a feature request.

nzt_i_need_nzt
New member | Level 2

I see lots of people ask for "disable comments globally" feature but after years it is still not there. I wonder why...

Boyan M.
Helpful | Level 6
That definitely needs to be done, if I want comments I´ll post in FB.

DavidBourke
New member | Level 2

It is beyond insane that comments cannot be disabled and a file made View Only, particularly on an expensive Business Account. Example: I upload a movie of a new product in operation. My competitor immediately comments on it with disparaging untruths.

I have no way to delete the comment, and no way to prevent it happening in future. The only way to deal with it is to delete my movie. This means that Dropbox is about as useful to my business as a chocolate fireplace, and is, in fact, a liability.

Accordingingly, I'm finished with Dropbox, and I will not be renewing my subscription.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@DavidBourke Thanks for the feedback. To clarify, it is possible to disable comments in the Dropbox product. You can find information on doing so here:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/commenting

This thread is in the "API Support" forum, and is specifically requesting a way to do programmatically, via the API.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    DavidBourke New member | Level 2
    Boyan M. Helpful | Level 6
    nzt_i_need_nzt New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?