cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Dropbox support the UIDocumentPickerModeOpen mode in iOS 8?

Does Dropbox support the UIDocumentPickerModeOpen mode in iOS 8?

Yaogang L.
New member | Level 1

I am trying to use the iOS 8 Document Picker to choose a file package from Dropbox, and edit it in-place. However, it seems that only the import and export modes are supported. When I use the open mode, Dropbox doesn't show up in the document picker.

Is this something you guys are working on?

51 Replies 51

Neil T.9
Helpful | Level 6

Can't agree more. The lack of discussion from DropBox is very unnerving. Adding this feature would integrate DB into pretty much any Document Provider compatible app and bring DB to even more people so I can't see the issue.

Please reply to this DropBox, I know everyone who's posted in here would appreciate it.

Frank I.2
New member | Level 1

It looks like DropBox still has too many paying customers. We even offered them a business deal to promote DropBox to the 100k+ users of our business app in exchange for adding this feature, but sadly they weren't even interested and did not listen.

Neil T.9
Helpful | Level 6

From the latest DropBox iOS app update, the existing Document Picker functionality looks to have been removed. Maybe it's a precursor to full real Document Picker functionality coming soon?

Fingers crossed eh?

Bojan S.
Helpful | Level 5
It's either that or they just "went all in" and removed the whole thing permanently. Sadly, there was no mention of full document picker implementation in the blogpost detailing the iOS updates for power users.

Francesco K.
Explorer | Level 4

Considering the long time this has not been implemented it feels like this is a political decision by Dropbox not to support this basic iOS feature, for whatever effed up reason that might be. I do a lot of work on my iPad and have been holding off a paid plan because of this lack of support.

Dropbox is a service that works so well and I want to love, but I keep stumbling over several frustrating and puzzling product decisions like this one.

Neil T.9
Helpful | Level 6

Anyone know if there's an update to this? I know the existing functions were removed some time ago but I've not heard anything since.

Dropbox, Please! We would all love this feature to be added!

Neil

Mark
Super User II
Neil - this thread is in the wrong place for the API developers to see it (not your fault I realise).

I'm going to move it now to see if they pick it up 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Hi Neil, the app supports import and export, but I don't have an update for support for open and move.

Neil T.9
Helpful | Level 6
Ok. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE pass on this request on behalf of everyone in this thread (and more) to get the full version of Document Provider support added. I love Dropbox but for certain items I have to use a competitor and the sole reason comes down to three fact that they have this functionality and Dropbox doesn't.

Please!

Thanks,
Neil

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Thanks! I've sent this along as a feature request.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Neil T.9 Helpful | Level 6
    Frank I.2 New member | Level 1
    Thomas M.71 New member | Level 1
    Chris D.37 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?