cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Dropbox support the UIDocumentPickerModeOpen mode in iOS 8?

Does Dropbox support the UIDocumentPickerModeOpen mode in iOS 8?

Yaogang L.
New member | Level 1

I am trying to use the iOS 8 Document Picker to choose a file package from Dropbox, and edit it in-place. However, it seems that only the import and export modes are supported. When I use the open mode, Dropbox doesn't show up in the document picker.

Is this something you guys are working on?

51 Replies 51

Bojan S.
Helpful | Level 5
The single feature that keeps me from diving in with the pro plan. Hopefully it gets implemented sooner than later, at least now we know someone heard the plea.

Neil T.9
Helpful | Level 6
Yep, that's what I thought too! Come on Dropbox. You'll get at least two new paid customers if this is added. Haha. Me and Bojan S above!

Bojan S.
Helpful | Level 5

My 100$ are already in an envelope ready to be sent your way Dropbox :D. 

John B.78
Helpful | Level 5

I can't use or recommend Dropbox to iOS users without this feature.  Every other major cloud service provider implements UIDocumentPickerModeOpen: Google Drive, OneDrive, and Box--as well as Resilio (formerly known as BitTorrent Sync).

Dropbox has a lot of advantages, but the fact is that many of the apps I use no longer bother hard-coding in specific support for Dropbox any longer.  Why would they, when there is a system-level API for allowing arbitrary apps to open and edit in place files from different storage providers?  Dropbox is no longer the only game in town.

Plus, UIDocumentPickerModeOpen is not limited to cloud files:  Some storage providers let third-party apps open and edit files that are saved offline, with changes to be synced when the device comes online.  (Resilio, specifically, though there are Document Provider apps like Documents and Transmit that can just work as local file systems that do not need a continuous internet connection).

Neil T.9
Helpful | Level 6

The more people that ask for this feature, the better!

Come on DropBox. Please!

Neil T.9
Helpful | Level 6
Any further progress with getting this implemented? It'll be such a useful feature!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
I don't have an update on this unfortunately.

Neil T.9
Helpful | Level 6
Hey Greg, Following on from your Blog post about iOS 11 and the Files app integration, please could you confirm if this functionality is going to be a part of that update?

Basically, I think we would all like to be able to open a file from DropBox into a third party app, make some changes and exit out and the updates are saved right back into DropBox but without any copies of the file being made and complicating everything.

I know that everyone in this thread would appreciate an update on this.

Thanks,
Neil

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Hi Neil, I don't have any additional information to share on this. Thanks for the feedback though! I'm sending it along to the team.

Neil T.9
Helpful | Level 6

What I was trying to ask was is this likely going to be a part of the new Apple iOS11 Files app integration that you announced on your blog the other day?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Neil T.9 Helpful | Level 6
    Frank I.2 New member | Level 1
    Thomas M.71 New member | Level 1
    Chris D.37 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?