cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Downloading from a shared, password-protected folder

Downloading from a shared, password-protected folder

diziet
New member | Level 2

Hello -

I am trying to access a shared folder that is password protected. Currently, I can get the contents of the folder with list_folder() but it is unclear how I would get actual downloads for the files. If I was accessing my own account I could use get_temporary_link() but I am struggling to find the equivalent for a shared, password-protected folder.

In particular, get_shared_link_file() returns "shared_link_access_denied", even when supplied with the correct password for the folder.

Thanks for any help.

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

If the shared folder is mounted in the account of the connected user:

- to list the contents, it is best to use /2/files/list_folder (supplying the `path` value), and /2/files/list_folder/continue, if necessary.

- the download file data, it is best to use /2/files/download. (Using /2/files/get_temporary_link would also work though.)

If the shared folder is not mounted in the account of the connected user, and you only have a shared link for the folder:

- to list the contents, use /2/files/list_folder (supplying the `shared_link` value), and /2/files/list_folder/continue, if necessary.

- the download file data, use /2/sharing/get_shared_link_file (supplying the `link_password` value, if necessary).

It sounds like you're trying to use /2/sharing/get_shared_link_file, but are unexpectedly getting a `shared_link_access_denied` error. I just tried it out myself, and it looks like there may be an issue with that right now. We'll look into it.

diziet
New member | Level 2

Thanks for looking into it.

hashken
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I too am getting the shared_link_access_denied error when using the get_shared_link_file API call with a valid password. Have you been able to figure out why this is happening?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@hashken This is a bug on our side unfortunately. It's open with engineering, but I don't have a timeline for a fix right now.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

This issue with calling /2/sharing/get_shared_link_file with a password is now fixed and should be working properly.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused, and thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    hashken New member | Level 2
    diziet New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?