cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox API 2 supports .Net Core 1.1?

Dropbox API 2 supports .Net Core 1.1?

Oskar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi,

I have an ASP.Net Core 1.1.1 app that uses the DropBox API. When starting Visual Studio 2017 I get an error message:

Package Dropbox.Api 4.3.0 is not compatible with netcoreapp1.1 (.NETCoreApp,Version=v1.1). Package Dropbox.Api 4.3.0 supports:  - net45 (.NETFramework,Version=v4.5)  - portable-dnxcore50+net45+win8+wp8+wpa81 (.NETPortable,Version=v0.0,Profile=net45+wp80+win8+wpa81+dnxcore50)  - portable-net40+sl5+win8+wp8+wpa81 (.NETPortable,Version=v0.0,Profile=Profile328)

However, this message disappears when I compile and things seem to run just fine, except when I do Unit tests (XUnit). Then I get this error :

System.AggregateException : One or more errors occurred. (Could not load file or assembly 'Dropbox.Api, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=310f0e82fbb45d01'. The system cannot find the file specified.)

---- System.IO.FileNotFoundException : Could not load file or assembly 'Dropbox.Api, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=310f0e82fbb45d01'. The system cannot find the file specified.

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.ThrowIfExceptional(Boolean includeTaskCanceledExceptions)

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.GetResultCore(Boolean waitCompletionNotification)

at xUnitTest.test.FeedsAdminControllerShould.ReturnViewAndProperModelForPostEdit() ....[rest removed]

-What is going on here? How come the app works fine, but fails when testing?

-Is there an older cached version hanging around or something?

-Should Dropbox.Api 4.3.0 be compatible with .net core? If not, which version of Dropbox API should I use?

-Has this anything to do with the phasing out of version 1 of the API?

Any and all comments are appreciated,

Oskar

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Qiming Y.
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The SDK supports .Net Core 1.1. You just need to make sure you have

• <PackageTargetFallback>portable-net45+win8</PackageTargetFallback> added to both main and test projects.
  • Microsoft.NETCore.Portable.Compatibility nuget package installed for main project.
  • Visual studio doesn't return any error when the build process tries to restore nuget packages. Sometimes the restore may fail due to error like "Unable to resolve ...  for '.NETCoreApp,Version=v1.1'". If that happens you may need to re-open visual studio / re-add the project. Then a clean and re-build should remove the error.

If the issue still persist please let us know.

Thanks,

Qiming

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
This isn't related to API v1 (the .NET SDK only uses API v2 to begin with). The API .NET SDK should work with .NET Standard 1.1+, though it may require some extra configuration.

If you are using project.json, you need to add portable-net45+win8 to imports under you frameworks section. If you are using .csproj file, you need to add <PackageTargetFallback>portable-net45+win8</PackageTargetFallback> element to your project.

Oskar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your quick response.

I have already this in my .csproj -file.

<PackageTargetFallback>$(PackageTargetFallback);dotnet5.6;portable-net45+win8</PackageTargetFallback>

It comes as a default.

Adding or replacing the element you sent doesn't seem to make any difference

Oskar

Qiming Y.
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The SDK supports .Net Core 1.1. You just need to make sure you have

• <PackageTargetFallback>portable-net45+win8</PackageTargetFallback> added to both main and test projects.
  • Microsoft.NETCore.Portable.Compatibility nuget package installed for main project.
  • Visual studio doesn't return any error when the build process tries to restore nuget packages. Sometimes the restore may fail due to error like "Unable to resolve ...  for '.NETCoreApp,Version=v1.1'". If that happens you may need to re-open visual studio / re-add the project. Then a clean and re-build should remove the error.

If the issue still persist please let us know.

Thanks,

Qiming

Oskar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Qiming,

Thanks for your reply.

I was missing the PackageTargetFallback -tag in the test project. That solved it. Thanks a million.

I do not have the Microsoft.NETCore.Portable.Compatibility -package installed. Things seem to work without it. Under what circumstances would I need to install this package?

All the best,

Oskar

Qiming Y.
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Your code may not be able to compile if you call async method in the SDK without Microsoft.NETCore.Portable.Compatibility installed. If your code already compiles and works fine then you don't have to install it.

قناةشليلة
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
قناة شليلة

وضيفة التكامل
Need more support?