cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox CLI Error: ng

Dropbox CLI Error: ng

VastDatalytics
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I am uploading a 101 GiB file to my dropbox and got an Error: ng 99GiB/101GiB.

I used the command ./dbxcli put [src]/myfile [dest]/myfile

Is uploading a 100gb with the CLI not supported? I assume it is using sessions in the background.

6 Replies 6

tahsini
Dropbox Staff

Is there a more detailed error response that you're receiving from the cli when uploading? And is this occurring only for files 100gb or larger?

VastDatalytics
Explorer | Level 3

That is all the cli gave me. I've seen it once at 99GiB/101GiB. It takes me 12 hours to get to that point. I tried the second time but it threw an error "too many requests" around 4GiB/101GiB. 

I assume the too many requests error is because the dropbox cli chunks are defaulted to 4mb? So it is hitting the API too many times?

kylea
Dropbox Staff

We've recently updated our upload sessions to enable parallel upload of chunks.  The team just updated the cli to incorporate this functionality after your report.  Parallel uploads of chunks should substantially improve upload time and reduce error for these larger files.

Would you be able to patch your cli with this and let it know if it resolves?  https://github.com/dropbox/dbxcli/pull/170.  We expect to update the main release with it.

VastDatalytics
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for looking into this!

I ended up writing my own uploader with retry + chunksize setting. I was able to successfully upload with 16mb chunks.

What is the largest chunk possible on a 1000mbps up bandwidth for concurrently uploads?

tahsini
Dropbox Staff

The largest chunk-size possible with concurrent uploads is 148MB (the largest multiple of 4MB below 150MB) but we recommend 16MB or 32MB and more parallel workers to optimize the speed.

If you do use our latest patch to upload your content, we would love to know how long it now takes you to complete your upload! It is always helpful for us to know how these upload cases perform with our users.

VastDatalytics
Explorer | Level 3

Got it. Thank you!

Need more support?