cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox V2 error 429 and more error

Dropbox V2 error 429 and more error

Foto2
New member | Level 2

I am using dropbox business (other Account) for storage Image. My system has 100 and more people using. 

I am using javascript API V2 to upload image. 3 images upload at time then get thumb of 3 Image for display.

- For example: I need upload 100 file:

3 file upload success -> 3 upload success ->......

But some times has error: 

too_many_write_operations

some time error return:

{}

Please help me to fix it. Thanks. Sorry my Enghlish language

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The Dropbox API does have a general rate limiting system, but note that not all 429s and 503s indicate explicit rate limiting, but in any case that you get a 429 or 503 the best practice is to retry the request, respecting the Retry-After header if given in the response, or using an exponential back-off, if not.

For example, if you're making multiple changes at the same time in the same account or shared folder, you can run in to that 'too_many_write_operations' error, which is "lock contention". That's not explicit rate limiting, but rather a result of how Dropbox works on the backend. This is a technical inability to make a modification in the account or shared folder at the time of the API call. This error indicates that there was simultaneous activity in the account or shared folder preventing your app from making the state-modifying call (e.g., adding, editing, moving, or deleting files/folders) it is attempting. The simultaneous activity could be coming from your app itself, or elsewhere, e.g., from the user's desktop client. It can come from the same user, or another member of a shared folder. You can find more information about lock contention here:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/reference/data-ingress-guide

In short, to avoid this error, you should avoid making multiple concurrent state modifications. E.g., don't issue multiple such requests at a time, and use batch endpoints whenever possible. That won't guarantee that you won't run in to this error though, as contention can still come from other sources.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?