cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Easiest way to allow users to download single file from any mobile web browser.

Easiest way to allow users to download single file from any mobile web browser.

craigecraig
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi.  I currently have the Saver method setup, but it doesn't work on iOS chrome, so this isn't a viable solution for me.  What is the best option for me to allow any logged-in user to download their video to their Dropbox account, ideally without them having to enter an API key?

My site is developed using PHP.

Thanks!

Craig

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Using the Dropbox Saver would be the easiest way, but as you found, the Dropbox Saver isn't supported in Chrome for iOS unfortunately. I'm sending this along as a feature request for support for the Saver in Chrome for iOS, but I can't promise if or when that might be done.

The alternative would be to use the Dropbox API, e.g., with the /2/files/save_url endpoint to save a file from a URL, or the /2/files/upload endpoint to upload file data directly. That would be substantially more work than using the Saver though, as you'd need to build out that implementation yourself. Note that the end-user wouldn't need to supply their own app key though. You as the developer just register the app once yourself, and use the resulting app key in your app's code. You would then send the user through the OAuth app authorization flow so they can choose whether or not to authorize your app.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Using the Dropbox Saver would be the easiest way, but as you found, the Dropbox Saver isn't supported in Chrome for iOS unfortunately. I'm sending this along as a feature request for support for the Saver in Chrome for iOS, but I can't promise if or when that might be done.

The alternative would be to use the Dropbox API, e.g., with the /2/files/save_url endpoint to save a file from a URL, or the /2/files/upload endpoint to upload file data directly. That would be substantially more work than using the Saver though, as you'd need to build out that implementation yourself. Note that the end-user wouldn't need to supply their own app key though. You as the developer just register the app once yourself, and use the resulting app key in your app's code. You would then send the user through the OAuth app authorization flow so they can choose whether or not to authorize your app.

craigecraig
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

THANK YOU!! 🙂

craigecraig
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

One more question, so I set up the save api and most of it appears to be working, but the file I need them to save is an Amazon s3 file.  I create a presigned url and put that in the PATH spot.  But I am getting errors:

Error in call to API function "files/upload": HTTP header "Dropbox-API-Arg": path: The root folder is unsupported

Is this doable?

Thanks!

Craig

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

When using /2/files/upload to upload a file, the 'path' parameter should contain the full path in Dropbox where you want to store the file, including the file name and extension. 

It sounds like you want to put the file in the root folder and so just supplied the empty string "" as the path. Instead, you should supply a string like "/filename.ext" to tell Dropbox where to put the file and what to name it.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Update: the Dropbox Saver should now work in Chrome on iOS.

Need more support?