cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Export Dropbox-Content to WordPress with list_folder

Export Dropbox-Content to WordPress with list_folder

HuS
Helpful | Level 5

Plus plan user here. We consider using the API method list_folder to pick up a large Dropbox folder (thousands of images 100-5000 kb each) to populate the Media Library for a WordPress site. Individual files would cause minimal download traffic, as another service picks up files from there and serves images with a CDN. Transfer from Dropbox to WordPress might happen with WP All Import → Import Images from URLs. For those with good Dropbox API experience – does this sound like something worth trying?

4 Replies 4

kylea
Dropbox Staff

Getting Dropbox files into Wordpress is certainly achievable with the API - there are several community built plugins to Wordpress that allow selection of Dropbox files, see here.  

If your goal is to get thumbnails of media files from Dropbox into WordPress, using get_thumbnail_batch using the output of list_folder may be the most efficient way to download the images.

HuS
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you, kylea!
I wasn't notified that my question got an answer, hence my late reply. I am aware of these WordPress plugins â€“ they, however don't do what we need. The WordPress plugins in this list which make Dropbox available in the Media Library context let you browse Dropbox from within WordPress as an additional image source. 

We want to automatically (and exclusively) populate our WordPress Media Library with assets stored on Dropbox, so that every published image originally comes from Dropbox. Thumbnails weren't  enough, we need the full-size images. Dropbox would work as a minimal DAM, connected to the WordPress Media Library.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@HuS If existing solutions don't address your use case, you can certainly build your own integration. To get the original/full size image data, you could use /2/files/download.

HuS
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks Greg,
we'll look into this.

Need more support?