cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File upload/download and database storage in Dropbox

File upload/download and database storage in Dropbox

Sritoma M.
New member | Level 1

Hi,
I am developing an app in iOS. My requirement is as follows:
I want to upload images and also download images. Also I want the ability to store the database structure in dropbox. So that if my app gets deleted and when I re-install the app only I have to link that with my dropbox account. Then I will get all the data in my app and there will be no data loss.

I have searched various APIs provided by Dropbox. I have also implemented Sync API of dropbox but that doesn't suffice my purpose.
When my app get deleted it does not download the stored data in my app.

So I want to know for my requirement which API I have to use?

Thanks,
Sritoma

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Both the Sync API and the Core API offer the ability to upload and download files to and from Dropbox, so either should work in this case. Can you elaborate on any specific issues you're experiencing?

Regarding your "database structure", this is probably also possible, depending on what exactly you mean and what you want to do. For example, you can store structured data using the Datastore API. The Datastore SDK and the Sync SDK for iOS are actually one and the same, so you can use both files and datastores functionality in the same app with that SDK.

Alternatively, if you're using a local database like SQLite, you could backup the database as a file.

Sritoma M.
New member | Level 1

OK Thanks. I will look into the APIs you mentioned. But one question is that does Sync API download files from dropbox as well?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Yes. You can get a basic idea of how it works by looking through the tutorial:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/sync/start/ios

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Sritoma M. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?