cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Files uploaded with save_url endpoint not visible in dropbox when complete.

Files uploaded with save_url endpoint not visible in dropbox when complete.

ImpulseWebDev
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Currently when I post a file url to the 'https://api.dropboxapi.com/2/files/save_url' endpoint as described in the docs, and then check using the 'https://api.dropboxapi.com/2/files/save_url/check_job_status' when the second endpoint returns a status of:

{
    ".tag": "complete",
    "name": "test (2).png",
    "path_lower": "/aia ats hubspot/(hubspot)/test (2).png",
    "path_display": "/AIA ATS HubSpot/(HubSpot)/test (2).png",
    etc..
}

However when I follow the path either manually or by copying from the response directly, there is always an alert that the file does not exist.

The save_url endpoint seems to be recognizing other files of the same name from previous tests as it is appending unique names to the file (ex: test (1).png) however I am not able to locate them within dropbox.

It seems like I might be missing something, any ideas why they API would show successes but still not see the file within dropbox visually?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

That response should indicate that the file was saved successfully, so make sure you're looking in the right location when verifying that manually, e.g., on the Dropbox web site.

For instance, check that you're signed in to the same account that you're connected to on the API (or at least, an account with the relevant shared folder if you're uploading to a shared folder).

Also, if the account is on a team with the "team space" configuration, note that by default these API calls operate in the "member folder" of the connected account, not the team space, so make sure you're looking inside the member folder (i.e., the folder with the member's name) and not the team space itself. (You can configure API calls to operate in the team space instead though. To do so, you'll need to set the "Dropbox-API-Path-Root" header. You can find information on this in the Team Files Guide.)

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

That response should indicate that the file was saved successfully, so make sure you're looking in the right location when verifying that manually, e.g., on the Dropbox web site.

For instance, check that you're signed in to the same account that you're connected to on the API (or at least, an account with the relevant shared folder if you're uploading to a shared folder).

Also, if the account is on a team with the "team space" configuration, note that by default these API calls operate in the "member folder" of the connected account, not the team space, so make sure you're looking inside the member folder (i.e., the folder with the member's name) and not the team space itself. (You can configure API calls to operate in the team space instead though. To do so, you'll need to set the "Dropbox-API-Path-Root" header. You can find information on this in the Team Files Guide.)

ImpulseWebDev
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Ah, that was indeed my issue Greg. That header has solved my confusion.

I was adding the path to the end of a teams folder url, and that was why it did not exist as you suspected.

Thank you for getting me straightened out!

Need more support?