cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Find out how Tiffany, a Customer Experience superstar uses Dropbox to keep her family in the loop when it comes to her new baby here!

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Generate links and passwords with Python

Generate links and passwords with Python

rf27
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I am looking to generate shared links with individual passwords for a lot of folders in one directory in Dropbox. Could you please give me some starter code or point me to more information for doing this?

Basically I would like to be able to loop through all the folder in a directoy, generate a share link for each with a unique password (either generated by Dropbox or supplied using some sort of randomiser function), and then saving these to a CSV.

If you could point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Greg-DB
Dropboxer

If you're using Python, we recommend using the official Dropbox Python SDK. In that, you can use the sharing_create_shared_link_with_settings method to create a shared link for any file or folder. Here's an example of using that method:

import datetime

import dropbox

dbx = dropbox.Dropbox("<ACCESS_TOKEN>")

expires = datetime.datetime.now() + datetime.timedelta(days=30)
requested_visibility = dropbox.sharing.RequestedVisibility.team_only
desired_shared_link_settings = dropbox.sharing.SharedLinkSettings(requested_visibility=requested_visibility, expires=expires)

shared_link_metadata = dbx.sharing_create_shared_link_with_settings("/test.txt", settings=desired_shared_link_settings)

print(shared_link_metadata)

`<ACCESS_TOKEN>` should be replaced with the access token.

In your case, you'd want to use RequestedVisibility.password instead of team_only.

dbower
New member | Level 2

Most of the links in the above message no longer work.  Is it possible to re-link the references, or delete the message?

Greg-DB
Dropboxer

@dbower Thanks for letting me know! I've updated my post to fix those issues.

ShawnLyu
Explorer | Level 3
Hi Greg, I've tried your code but got exception with the following message:
dropbox.exceptions.ApiError: ApiError('e41bbb442f5b1b4fb6288eb2aa37c87e', CreateSharedLinkWithSettingsError(u'settings_error', SharedLinkSettingsError(u'not_authorized', None))).
I've no clues what's the problem and could you help me with this?
Thanks!

Greg-DB
Dropboxer

@ShawnLyu You can find more information about the SharedLinkSettingsError.not_authorized error in the documentation here:

https://dropbox-sdk-python.readthedocs.io/en/latest/moduledoc.html#dropbox.sharing.SharedLinkSetting...

In short, you'll get that if you try to use a setting that isn't available to the account for the access token you're using. Free accounts can't set link passwords or expirations, for example.

ShawnLyu
Explorer | Level 3
Thanks for your information and that helps a lot!
I got another problem and it would be great if you could help with it:
I've developing a website where clients would request for access to certain files/folders. In this case I wish I could generate shared links with passwords and expire date for each of them differently, say they would each get a unique accessible link with password which would be valid within certain dates.
However, I would get shared link exists errors when I try to generate sharing links for files/folders that have one already.
So do you provide any solutions targeting this scenario?

Greg-DB
Dropboxer

@ShawnLyu It's not possible to create more than one distinct shared link per single file or folder, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. 

That being the case, you'd need to either use the same shared link for each client, or make a copy of the file or folder for each client (and make a shared link for each copy).

Need more support?