cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generated access token

Generated access token

Mwidders
New member | Level 2

Can someone help me?  Every time I generate an access token for my integration it changes within 30-45 seconds and my integration fails.  Is there something I am missing as to why the code would only be valid for 30-60 seconds?  The integration works for the first file but by the second file and token code it fails due to it no longer being a valid code.  Can someone help me please?

2 Replies 2

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @Mwidders,

To be honest, I'm not completely aware what exactly you have in mind. There is NO such thing like "token code"! Different authentication ways can be used to authenticate your link to Dropbox and all they end with access token that is in use in regular API' calls. One such way is using confirmation code. This code is "one shot" type and strongly limited in time! It's just the first authentication flow step and can NOT be used repeatedly. That's it, if it's confusing you.

Further, the access token itself if limited in time too. Can be used for 4 hours at most (exact period is mentioned in "expires_in" field in seconds). To prolong provided access without additional user interaction, you have to query offline access and keep the refresh token (it doesn't expire). 😉

Hope this clarifies matter.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Mwidders As Здравко mentioned, it's not clear what exactly you're referring to. If you're referring to an "authorization code", note that that can only be used once. Otherwise, a "short-lived access token" would be valid for several hours, unless revoked by the app or user. The OAuth Guide and authorization documentation may be helpful.

Otherwise, I can help investigate the issue, but I'd need more specific information. In that case, please reply with:

• the name and version number of the platform and SDK/library you are using, if any
  • the steps to reproduce the issue, including relevant code snippet(s), but don't include any access or refresh token(s)
  • the full text of any error or unexpected output
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?