cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Get metadata for batch of files

Get metadata for batch of files

alexz
Explorer | Level 4

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how to get metadata for a batch of files?

I'm querying the files via "list_folder" / "list_folder/continue" but since December 2, 2019 it doesn't return "media_info". The question is how to get metadata for these files (especially "media_info->time_taken")? E.g. if "list_folder" has returned 500 files how can I get this data for all of them? 500 separate requests to "get_metadata" look a little bit overwhelming.

Is there is any other way?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Unfortunately there isn't a batch way to get metadata with media info, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. 

alexz
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for the information. But how to deal with `API rate limit error: too_many_requests` in this case?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

That error indicates that you're hitting a rate limit, so you'd need to catch that error and have your app wait before trying again. The Dropbox API has a rate limiting system in order to protect against high rates of calls. Note that not all 429s and 503s indicate explicit rate limiting, but in any case that you get a 429 or 503 the best practice is to retry the request, respecting the Retry-After header if given in the response, or using an exponential back-off, if not.

Need more support?