cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get parent team folder from name space

Get parent team folder from name space

guymayor
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hey,

When I am using https://www.dropbox.com/developers/documentation/http/documentation#team_log-get_events-continue to get events I got the path without the team folder and the minimum shared parent folder namespace witch could be a inner folder inside the team folder.

from your API I understand that teams may have multiple team folders. so I need to know the parent team folder of the file.

is there a quick way to get a file's/ folder's team folder? 

Thanks. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for confirming! Unfortunately, no, I can't think of a more direct or faster way to query that information. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm not sure I understand your specific scenario here, but it sounds like you may want to use the /2/sharing/get_folder_metadata endpoint. You could supply the team or shared folder ID as the shared_folder_id, which would give you the 'parent_shared_folder_id' value. You could then call again with that ID to get the information for that parent folder.

If that isn't what you're looking for, please share a sample so I can take a closer look for your use case, e.g., so I can see what particular event you're working from. Thanks!

guymayor
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank's for the response.

You have understood me right 🙂

I have already thought about the solution you suggested but I wondered if there is a simpler, not recursive way to do that (Just get the parent team_folder_id form file_id or ns_id in one call)?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for confirming! Unfortunately, no, I can't think of a more direct or faster way to query that information. 

guymayor
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hey,

I have noticed that 'parent_shared_folder_id' value is optional, so I can't always get the team folder for a namespace (file/folders can be not under team folder on Dropbox for enterprise?) 

I also tried to use "Dropbox-API-Path-Root" for each team folder and see if I got a valid response, but it doesn't work.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

That's correct, 'parent_shared_folder_id' isn't guaranteed to be set. It is only set if the item is inside a shared/team folder. Some or all of a user's files and folders may just be in their own private folder, and not shared with anyone, in which case 'parent_shared_folder_id' will not be set.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    guymayor Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?