cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Getting Conflict 409 after successful attempts to access pwd-protected shared link

Getting Conflict 409 after successful attempts to access pwd-protected shared link

vfeskov
New member | Level 2

Hi, I'm using get_shared_link_metadata API with the same shared link and the correct "link_password" parameter and after multiple successful requests I start getting 409 Conflict response status and this response body:

{"error_summary": "shared_link_access_denied/..", "error": {".tag": "shared_link_access_denied"}}

Is this because of a rate limit to prevent guessing the password? Is this rate limit separate for every link or is it global for the app using the API?

The feature we have is that our users can share pwd-protected files with us and we're automatically checking if a link is accessible while they're typing it or the password, hence it can result in many requests being sent in a short period of time

4 Replies 4

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

That particular error shouldn't indicate an API rate limit. I also just tried making repeated /2/sharing/get_shared_link_metadata calls with a correct password and this didn't reproduce for me.

Can you double check you have the correct password in this case? If so, would you be able to share a sample that we can check on specifically? e.g., a request and response showing a sample shared link and correct password failing with this error. Please show both request and response headers and bodies, if possible, but be sure to redact the access token. You can also share privately by opening an API ticket here if you'd prefer. Thanks!

vfeskov
New member | Level 2

Hi Greg,

was able to reproduce the issue after ~200 requests:

url: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfjqvbwrqefjzc1/audience_deviceids.csv?dl=0

pwd: kayzen

Request:

URL: https://api.dropboxapi.com/2/sharing/get_shared_link_metadata

Headers:
- Authorization: REDACTED

- Content-Type: application/json
- Host: api.dropboxapi.com:443

Body:

{"url":"https://www.dropbox.com/s/mfjqvbwrqefjzc1/audience_deviceids.csv?dl=0","link_password":"kayzen"}

Response

Headers: 

- X-Dropbox-Request-Id: 6a3e6a164d954226b18ccfd9ec2f4341

Body: {"error_summary": "shared_link_access_denied/..", "error": {".tag": "shared_link_access_denied"}}

While preparing this info i tried to confirm the URL in Chrome browser and when i entered the password i saw "Too many attempts" error below the Password field.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks! That's helpful. We'll check on that.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for your patience while the team looks into this. It sounds like what you're running in to is a per-link limit, so the team suggests

increasing the time between requests and/or adding a backoff.

Need more support?