cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can we see the Template added for user and File Properties added for a file in Dropbox webapp

How can we see the Template added for user and File Properties added for a file in Dropbox webapp

Reshma
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

How can we see the Template added for user and File Properties added for a file in Dropbox webapplication(UI)

1. I have created a Template using /templates/add_for_user

2. I have added File properties to a file using file_properties/properties/add

I'm getting success response(200 ok) in the api response.

But how to see the template and added file properties in the Dropbox web app . Please help

I doesn't know the exact use of templates and file properties . If you share any documentation or any sort of explanation other than api documentation it would be helpful.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@Reshma  wrote:

How can we see the Template added for user and File Properties added for a file in Dropbox webapplication(UI)

Hi @Reshma ,

You can't actually. As you can see here:

Templates are owned either by a user/app pair or team/app pair. Templates and their associated properties can't be accessed by any app other than the app that created them, and even then, only when the app is linked with the owner of the template (either a user or team).

@Reshma  wrote:

But how to see the template and added file properties in the Dropbox web app . ...

As mentioned above you can't. Those properties are strictly related to the User(Team)/App pair. 🙂 Dropbox Web app is NOT the your application!

While use any API call (either directly or through SDK) where result contains metadata, you're able see those properties where associated to particular file. Properties change can be performed using any file change (upload) call. (in addition to properties specific calls)

@Reshma  wrote:

I doesn't know the exact use of templates and file properties . ...

There is no such (exact use). That's an option you can associate a file with application specific properties, if that can be useful for you (your application). Something like tagging files with application specific set(s) of tags whenever appropriate. 😉 That's it.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@Reshma  wrote:

Hi @Reshma ,

You can't actually. As you can see here:

Templates are owned either by a user/app pair or team/app pair. Templates and their associated properties can't be accessed by any app other than the app that created them, and even then, only when the app is linked with the owner of the template (either a user or team).

@Reshma  wrote:

But how to see the template and added file properties in the Dropbox web app . ...

As mentioned above you can't. Those properties are strictly related to the User(Team)/App pair. 🙂 Dropbox Web app is NOT the your application!

While use any API call (either directly or through SDK) where result contains metadata, you're able see those properties where associated to particular file. Properties change can be performed using any file change (upload) call. (in addition to properties specific calls)

@Reshma  wrote:

I doesn't know the exact use of templates and file properties . ...

There is no such (exact use). That's an option you can associate a file with application specific properties, if that can be useful for you (your application). Something like tagging files with application specific set(s) of tags whenever appropriate. 😉 That's it.

Hope this helps.

Reshma
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

@Здравко  Thanks much . This helps and gives me clarity.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@Reshma  Здравко is correct; file templates/properties are a feature of the Dropbox API only and are not accessible on the Dropbox website, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though.

If you're looking for something like this accessible both via the Dropbox API and web site, check out the tags functionality and API documentation.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Reshma Explorer | Level 3
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?