cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to get absolute URL using shared_folder_id

How to get absolute URL using shared_folder_id

johntaylor
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a folder that has been shared with another Dropbox user using the API. At the time of sharing, I save the shared_folder_id for future reference.

How would I use the shared_folder_id to get the absolute URL for the other user?

Just to be clear, I'm looking for a URL that I can give to the other user that will open that folder on their own computer, not mine. For example, my URL might be "https://dropbox.com/work/some_folder", but their URL might be "https://dropbox.com/personal/some_renamed_folder". So I'm hoping that I can use the shared_folder_id to give the other user a direct URL to their folder.

Thanks for the help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

You can use the shared folder ID to call /2/sharing/get_folder_metadata (or corresponding method in an SDK/library) and get the "preview_url" value from the response. That will be a URL that will automatically redirect to the shared folder in their account when a member of the shared folder accesses it. (Non-members would not automatically get access, but could use the page to request access.)

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

You can use the shared folder ID to call /2/sharing/get_folder_metadata (or corresponding method in an SDK/library) and get the "preview_url" value from the response. That will be a URL that will automatically redirect to the shared folder in their account when a member of the shared folder accesses it. (Non-members would not automatically get access, but could use the page to request access.)

Need more support?