cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We love to hear how every person gets the most from Dropbox, and it seems everyone has a slightly different use for it - tell us yours here!

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get absolute URL using shared_folder_id

How to get absolute URL using shared_folder_id

johntaylor
New member | Level 2

I have a folder that has been shared with another Dropbox user using the API. At the time of sharing, I save the shared_folder_id for future reference.

How would I use the shared_folder_id to get the absolute URL for the other user?

Just to be clear, I'm looking for a URL that I can give to the other user that will open that folder on their own computer, not mine. For example, my URL might be "https://dropbox.com/work/some_folder", but their URL might be "https://dropbox.com/personal/some_renamed_folder". So I'm hoping that I can use the shared_folder_id to give the other user a direct URL to their folder.

Thanks for the help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to get absolute URL using shared_folder_id

Greg-DB
Dropboxer

You can use the shared folder ID to call /2/sharing/get_folder_metadata (or corresponding method in an SDK/library) and get the "preview_url" value from the response. That will be a URL that will automatically redirect to the shared folder in their account when a member of the shared folder accesses it. (Non-members would not automatically get access, but could use the page to request access.)

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Re: How to get absolute URL using shared_folder_id

Greg-DB
Dropboxer

You can use the shared folder ID to call /2/sharing/get_folder_metadata (or corresponding method in an SDK/library) and get the "preview_url" value from the response. That will be a URL that will automatically redirect to the shared folder in their account when a member of the shared folder accesses it. (Non-members would not automatically get access, but could use the page to request access.)

View solution in original post

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropboxer
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?