cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to get the file size in MB

How to get the file size in MB

bellomsean
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

What is the easiest/best way to get the file size in MB ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The Dropbox API returns file sizes in bytes, so if you want that shown in a different unit, you'll need to perform the conversion in your app's code. You could do so by programming in the math to do the conversion, or by using some library that does that for you.

The Dropbox API doesn't return folder sizes, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @bellomsean, thanks for checking in with us. 

Just to make sure, are you looking for a way to see all file sizes specifically in MB or are you trying to calculate file/folder sizes?

Also, are you asking in regards to the website, the desktop app, or the mobile app?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

bellomsean
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you for getting back to me.

I want to be able to query the API using the size of a file in MB.
For example; I have some files in my root folder, I want to be able to display files that are greater than 10MB only.

so I think the API returns file size in bytes, so I decided to do `data * 1024` 
while data is the btyes of a particular file.

Secondly;  I also want to be able to display a folder size that is greater than 10MB.

I hope this is clear.

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Ah I see, in this case, I've moved your post to the API section, where your post will have more relevant assistance for better troubleshooting. 

In the meantime, if there's anything else we can help with, just give us another shout. 

Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

bellomsean
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Greg-DB,

Kindly take a look at my question.

Thank you.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The Dropbox API returns file sizes in bytes, so if you want that shown in a different unit, you'll need to perform the conversion in your app's code. You could do so by programming in the math to do the conversion, or by using some library that does that for you.

The Dropbox API doesn't return folder sizes, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though. 

Need more support?