cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get webhooks without creating an app or caring about users

How to get webhooks without creating an app or caring about users

ardave
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm a member of a dropbox business account, and I have created an endpoint to receive Dropbox webhooks whenever files are modified, but my endpoint receives no messages.

(The endpoint is verified and accepted by dropbox, and I have the endpoint logging any and all json content that is posted to it, so it's pretty unconstrained.  Also, I can communicate with the endpoint fine using Postman.)

I assume that the reason I receive no webhook messages is because I have no users associated with my app.   However, I do not want to deal with users nor apps.  I just want to configure the Dropbox business account, for which I am an admin, to send webhook messages whenever a file gets updated.

I also assume that to associate a user with my "app," then I might need to create some minimal (and unwanted) website just to direct users to Dropbox's federated login, however I don't want to deal with any of this if I can avoid it.

What might be the best way for me to proceed?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Webhook notifications will only be sent for accounts "connected" or "linked" to the app, so it is expected that you won't get any notifications with your described current set up.

Typically, you would have users connect to your via the OAuth app authorization flow. If you only need to connect your own account though, you can do so more easily without implementing that by clicking the "Generate" button on the app's page on the App Console. That will connect your app to your own account without any extra work.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Webhook notifications will only be sent for accounts "connected" or "linked" to the app, so it is expected that you won't get any notifications with your described current set up.

Typically, you would have users connect to your via the OAuth app authorization flow. If you only need to connect your own account though, you can do so more easily without implementing that by clicking the "Generate" button on the app's page on the App Console. That will connect your app to your own account without any extra work.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?