cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to upload file to DropBox folder that is accessible to others

How to upload file to DropBox folder that is accessible to others

RyanDev
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have a pretty simple requirement.  I need to write c# code to upload a file to an existing DropBox folder (or even a new one if necessary) that others have access to so that the new file will also be in their dropbox folder on their windows machine (windows explorer).

Per the documentation, I created an app and chose to have access to just a single folder.  I then used a simple call to dbx.Files.UploadAsync() and that sort of worked.

It did upload the file and now, on my windows machine, in Windows Explorer I see a new folder in the root of my DropBox folder named "Apps."  I can drill into it and see the file I uploaded.  Great!

However, I can't see how to share the folder with other people so that they have access to it.

1. I can share the folder as a link but that is not what we want.  I want others to have access to it, not share a link.

2. I went into the app and enabled additional users (can't remember how it was worded) but now the button just says "Unlink all users" and shows 1 of 500.

So, I think I am missing the process for how to upload a file into an existing DropBox folder that others in DropBox business have access to.  Seems like it should be simple but I'm missing something obvious.

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

From your description, I understand that you registered an API app with the "app folder" permission, resulting in the "app folder" in your account then you connected the app. 

Unfortunately, app folders are incompatible with shared folders, meaning you can't share an app folder (except as a link, like you mentioned), put a shared folder or team folder inside an app folder or put an app folder in a shared folder or team folder.

Instead, if you need to use the API with shared folders or team folders, you'll need to use the "full Dropbox" permission, as opposed to the app folder permission. You can find more information about app permissions here.

You can register another app with the desired permission here.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

From your description, I understand that you registered an API app with the "app folder" permission, resulting in the "app folder" in your account then you connected the app. 

Unfortunately, app folders are incompatible with shared folders, meaning you can't share an app folder (except as a link, like you mentioned), put a shared folder or team folder inside an app folder or put an app folder in a shared folder or team folder.

Instead, if you need to use the API with shared folders or team folders, you'll need to use the "full Dropbox" permission, as opposed to the app folder permission. You can find more information about app permissions here.

You can register another app with the desired permission here.

RyanDev
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Awesome, thank you.  I registered a new app that had full dropbox access and then I was able to save into the folder I wanted to.  

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

RyanDev New member | Level 2
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?