cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IOS ASWebAuthenticationSession for OAuth

IOS ASWebAuthenticationSession for OAuth

RTS S.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Previously I used a WKWebView  browser control to perform the OAUth. This allowed me to trap the redirect URL to obtain the access code. My redirect URL was http://localhost/Auth

Now I am using the Native browser interface ASWebAuthenticationSession This requires that you use an APPLICATION specific callback URL scheme for your redirect uri. i.e. MyAppName://Auth

The Dropbox APP console allows me to specifiy this as the Redirect URL but gives an error when I try to call the  oauth2/authrize endpoint using this as the redirect_uri

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

RTS S.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks, I used the Code flow as it looked more secure.

It would seem that custom URL schemes would be as secure as LOCALHOST ... both of which can only work on the user's device.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Can you share the full URL of the page displaying the error, as well as the text of the error itself? Thanks in advance! 

RTS S.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
    static let CLIENT_ID = "......"
    static let CLIENT_SECRET = "...."
    static let REDIRECT_URL = "myapp://Auth"
    static let OAUTH_URL = "https://www.dropbox.com/1/oauth2/authorize"

override func OAuthURL() -> String {
      return String(format:"%@?redirect_uri=%@&response_type=code&client_id=%@&force_reapprove=true",
                    DropboxOAuthInfo.OAUTH_URL,
                    HTTP.urlEncode(DropboxOAuthInfo.REDIRECT_URL),
                    DropboxOAuthInfo.CLIENT_ID)
    }

RTS S.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The image did not get attached ... here it is as a link:

Screen Capture

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks! Based on the code you shared, I see that you're using the "code" flow (i.e., 'response_type=code'). For the code flow, only "https://" is allowed in the redirect URI (unless on localhost), so "myapp://" wouldn't be allowed.

Instead, for client-side applications like this, you should use the "token" flow, i.e., 'response_type=token'. That does allow custom URL schemes in redirect URIs, such as "myapp://". 

For more information on how to use the token flow, please refer to the /oauth2/authorize documentation.

RTS S.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks, I used the Code flow as it looked more secure.

It would seem that custom URL schemes would be as secure as LOCALHOST ... both of which can only work on the user's device.

Eddyfc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
{"swagger": "2.0", "basePath": "/", "paths": {"/model/metadata": {"get": {"responses": {"200": {"des
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Eddyfc New member | Level 2
    RTS S. Helpful | Level 6
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?