cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Intenet Explorer Throwing "Unable to communicate with parent window" error while using Dropbox Chooser

Intenet Explorer Throwing "Unable to communicate with parent window" error while using Dropbox Chooser

Karthick T.
New member | Level 1

In IE 11 browser, When try to open a window with Dropbox authentication page for Dropbox Chooser,
We are getting the error "Unable to communicate with parent window" in the authentication window.

We are using the following code :

var options = {
                    // Required. Called when a user selects an item in the Chooser.
                    success: function(files) {
                        var docName = files[0].name;
                        var docExtension = "";

if (docName.indexOf(".") != -1) {
                            var tmpNameArray = docName.split(".");
                            docExtension = tmpNameArray[tmpNameArray.length - 1];
                        }
                    },

// Optional. Called when the user closes the dialog without selecting a file
                    // and does not include any parameters.
                    cancel: function() {

},

// Optional. "preview" (default) is a preview link to the document for sharing,
                    // "direct" is an expiring link to download the contents of the file. For more
                    // information about link types, see Link types below.
                    linkType: "preview", // or "direct"

// Optional. A value of false (default) limits selection to a single file, while
                    // true enables multiple file selection.
                    multiselect: false // or true

// Optional. This is a list of file extensions. If specified, the user will
                    // only be able to select files with these extensions. You may also specify
                    // file types, such as "video" or "images" in the list. For more information,
                    // see File types below. By default, all extensions are allowed.
                };
                var button = Dropbox.createChooseButton(options);
                Dropbox.choose(options);

and the following script is included in the jsp :

<script type="text/javascript" src="https://www.dropbox.com/static/api/2/dropins.js" id="dropboxjs" data-app-key="<APPKEY>"></script>

Can anyone please give solution for this issue ?

9 Replies 9

Rich
Super User II

Moved to the API forum.

Chris_J
Super User

Offtopic

Rich R.
how do you move thread to another? I am also a Mod, but as far as I can see, i do not have that option

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the report! First, can you let me know if this does or doesn't happen for you on https://www.dropbox.com/developers/dropins/chooser/js? If it doesn't, can you provide a sample page where it does reproduce?

Anyway, one way this can happen is if window.opener is null. Can you open the console on the Chooser popup itself when in the broken state and see what window.opener returns?

Also, is your site telling IE to use a particular compatibility mode? This can cause issues if the host page (your site) and the Chooser (which is hosted on our site, which tells IE to use the latest mode) are in different mode

Finally, another thing that can sometimes cause issues is IE's security settings (in the Security tab of Internet Options). Have you made any changes there? Is "Protected Mode" enabled?

Karthick T.
New member | Level 1

Thanks for your reply.

I have check with the following cases and listed the results :

With IE 11 its working fine but with the IE 10 its not working.
Anyway, one way this can happen is if window.opener is null. Can you open the console on the Chooser popup itself when in the broken state and see what window.opener returns?
window,opener is returning null
- Also, is your site telling IE to use a particular compatibility mode? This can cause issues if the host page (your site) and the Chooser (which is hosted on our site, which tells IE to use the latest mode) are in different mode

We have this meta tag added <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge;" /> and manifest="ie11WebSite.appcache" added in the html tag
- Finally, another thing that can sometimes cause issues is IE's security settings (in the Security tab of Internet Options). Have you made any changes there? Is "Protected Mode" enabled?

We have tried with both Protected Mode enabled and disabled. We faced the same issue.
Do we need to add anything in the html to fix this ?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks! The issue with IE 10 on the demo sounds like a different problem so we'll look into that separately.

Since the demo does work in IE 11 for you, it sounds like there's an issue with using the Chooser with your site specifically. Please open a ticket with the details for your site (i.e., where we can reproduce the issue) so we can look into it specifically:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/contact

Thanks in advance!

INT T.
New member | Level 1

@Karthick -- Did you ever find a solution for this? I am having the same problem in my app in IE11 only

Carol P.6
New member | Level 1

When I try to open up my file in Dropbox, I am unable to view it.  There is a message that says 'Unable to communicate with the parent window'.  What shall I do?

Chris_J
Super User

Carol P

try rebooting browser.  are you using the web interface?

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Hi Carol, if you're seeing this issue with a third party app, please contact the developer so they can look into it. They can then contact us with the relevant technical details if necessary.

If you're seeing this on the Dropbox web site itself, please contact support with the details: https://www.dropbox.com/support

Need more support?