Did you mean: 
Announcements
Update: Find information on Dropbox support during COVID-19 here
Close
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to get user's action details on a file ?

Thomas S.12 New member | Level 1
New member | Level 1

Hi, I'm trying to build an app that record every action happening on my Dropbox For business like the Report API for Google Drive to store something like this: what the user did, on which file, at which moment. The expected result would be like the dropbox event page (File Renamed, File Edited etc ...). 

I setted up the webhook that notifies me everytime a file is changed, then I receive the team_id and members id (no uid by the way), and I tried a lot of combinations of request with delta and get_events and the best I do is getting users logs activity...

So now I am asking myself if this is realy possible to build an app like this for Dropbox ?

4 Replies 4

Re: Is it possible to get user's action details on a file ?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

The Dropbox API doesn't currently offer an events API quite like what you're looking for, but I'll be sure to pass this along as a feature request.

The features you already mentioned are the closest currently available, but it sounds like those don't quite suit your needs. One other thing that may be useful though is the Core API /revisions call, which lists revisions for a single file in a user's account:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers-v1/core/docs#revisions

New member | Level 1

Thanks for the answer.

But just by curiousity I'd like to know how are you doing to log events in the event page ? Does it means you don't use your API ?

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

The events page is just part of the Dropbox web site, as opposed to being a Dropbox API app.

New member | Level 1

Thanks for the information.

Now, the easy way to solve my issue would be to add the Client IP in the Delta response, and then with some data combinations I would almost be able to reach my goal !

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?